I'm kicking the tires on UDT and have a few issues I'm come across, maybe someone has posted this in another thread. I also added some nice to haves in a future release.
· Under Node Details the section/view for "Port Details device xyz" is show all ports, same for th node tree in the All UDT Node view. I marked all the VLAN and a few other ports unmonitored in UDT but they are still show up in this view
· Cosmetically that same view needs better column sizing. Things do not line up orderly in this view. As with NPM in general I wish SW would allow us to strip off the domain name of a device if we want to. In our environment the domain name can be quite large
· Under Device Tracker Port details the Port History section is not displaying the hostname of the device (just IP and MAC), yet in the Node details it is for the same port.
· I find it redundant that you have to re-add devices to UDT that are already being monitored by NPM. Like NCM, UDT should automatically pull devices (sync) from NPM so you don't have to do it twice. All ports at this point should be monitored except thinks like Layer 2 VLANS, EO0/0 ports, port channel ports, etc. These should be disabled by default.
· When you hover over a port, a couple pieces or information show be in the pop-up window. I would add current IP(s) and hostanme of the devices connected, and if it's a windows machine the last logged in person's account ID
· I'm finding searching for mac address or IP of a device sometimes doesn't not show up in the look up results. I can see both when looking at a port and neither active or historical searches show the port. Device Tracker search results mostly does not work. I can click on a device it knows its name and IP and in the search results it shows nothing
· Hostnames are populated for windows devices, I'm assuming using dns lookups, but UDT will not display Cisco IP Phone DNS names. We are in DNS so why isn't this being displayed?
· Another feature request would be notification or something displayed on the port list view that the port has not had any devices connected to it after X period of time. We patched all primary ports for every cube we have and out closet switches are almost out of space. It would be nice to know this so we can trace this port to a wall jack and remove it to clean up the switch patching. We have a switch that I know is patched with about 10 ports left physically open yet UDT says 40% of the ports are free. I think a 30 day or something like that counter would be nice so we can clean up the ports.
I look forward to the AD integration that will allow us to see the last logged in (or current) person is to a particular port. If any of these issues is user error on my part please let me know. Thank you.