3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 11:45 AM by qle

Volume status icon

lhorstma

So the interfaces have a green/red/clear indicator showing their status. We need similar for volumes. We need an icon showing green for good and clear for not responding. You could use red for something else, like full or something. But I at least need to see which ones are not responding. Currently I have to query the database for volumes not responding and have to look up each node individually, cross referencing the query results, delete the ones not responding, list resources, and add in new ones. This would be much easier if I could just see an icon showing which ones aren't responding like with the interfaces. What do you say guys, can I see this on 10.1.3sp1? :)

• Re: Volume status icon
          qle

Perhaps I'm missing something here but couldn't you create an alert that triggers when a volume status becomes unknown? As part of the e-mail trigger action, simple include the ${NodeName} variable.

If you don't need realtime notification of this, you could also create a scheduled daily report that is delivered to you via e-mail with this information.

Are either of these options feasible for you?

lhorstma

I could, and that's basically what I'm doing, just manually in SQL. It would be nice however, to have the icon represent the state of the element just like with the interface icon. It would make it much easier on me to do my maintenance if I can visually see what's a problem right there on the page. I have thousands of volumes and it can get quite messy if maintenance is slacked on, so anything to improve the process is a plus.

qle

I understand. Keep in mind that I'm not dismissing your feature request. My suggestion was a compromise since it would alleviate the need to manually cross reference the SQL query results in order to find the corresponding node.

There is an option that you could integrate into the web console. That would be to add the All Volumes resource and filter on Volumes.Status = 0. The problem I found with this is that if a node has more than one volume in an unknown state, they aren't grouped together under the same node name. Instead, it may show something like the following:

• Node A
                    • Volume 1
                  • Node B
                    • Volume 3
                  • Node A
                    • Volume 2

Hopefully, for your maintenance task, this may be sufficient.