This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

community strings....

good morning guys...

new in solarwinds...

just wanna know how to know the community string of a certain unit. for example im using a vmplayer with os windows 2k3 r2. can i add my vmware to the solarwinds to monitor. how do i know if it is public or private? do i need to configure anything else for it to work? thanks and i hope you can help me guys... thanks

• Yes it can Monitor VM's as well as even the ESX box it belongs too.  Those SNMP settings are community strings set inside the OS.  Obviously it is suggested to move them away from the defaults of things like "public", "private" or "Secret".

• If SNMP is not configured on your server, we have a free tool which can help you do this, see here.

If you think SNMP is installed and setup then connect to the server and go to Services.  If you see a service called SNMP Service, ensure it is running and right click on it and select properties.  On the security tab are the settings about the community strings and whom to accept SNMP requests from etc.