3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 8:50 AM by lukas.belza

EntityType: How is it determined?

byrona

In the NetPerfMon database in the Nodes table there is a column called EntityType, I am curious how this is determined?

I have several nodes listed as Orion.VirtualMachine; however, several of my virtual machines are just listed as Orion.Nodes.

I am polling VMWare on all of my vCenter servers and in the Virtulization Summary it has all of my virtual machines correctly associated so I am curious why the EntityType isn't Orion.VirutalMachine on all of my virtual machines.

I would like to be able to use the field to base SQL reports on but currently the data isn't accurate as best I can tell.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

• Re: EntityType: How is it determined?
          lukas.belza

Hi byrona,

The Orion.VirtualMachine EntityType comming from NPM 10.0 and it's obsolete now. The NPM 10.1 and later version contains VIM module for polling VMware infrastructure and these version of NPM set EntityType only for ESX and vCenter servers (Orion.VIM.Hosts and Orion.VIM.VCenters).

But there is easy way how to find virtual machine nodes. The VIM_VirtualMachines table (where all virtual machines are stored) contains NodeID column, so you can join this table with Nodes table according to NodeID column.

I hope this help.

Kind Regards,

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              byrona

I see a bunch of nodes in the VIM_VirtualMachines table that don't have NodeID's associated with them.  It seems like this will cause a problem?

lukas.belza

If virtual machine doesn't have associated any Node (NodeID is NULL in the VIM_VirtualMachines table) then this virtual machine is "not managed" by Orion. It means that you can see this virtual machine in Asset Tree resource under ESX (in italic), but this virtual machine isn't displayed in other resources as (Top XX Virtual Machines by ...).

The mapping between Orion nodes and virtual machines in VIM is automatic based on IP address or MAC address. You can also click on the "not managed" virtual machine in Asset Tree and you will be redirected to add node wizard. If you add the node this way, the new node will be mapped to virtual machine.

Kind Regards,

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)