5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 7:26 AM by oiram

Poll Now Fails

byrona

I am running Orion with NPM Primary, an Additional Poller and an Additioal Web.  This morning when I try and do a manual Poll Now or Rediscover on any node that is being polled by my Additional Poller, it fails.  When I do the same thing for nodes being polled by NPM Primary, it succeeds.  However, all nodes being polled at the normal polling intervals by the Additional Poller seem to be functioning normally.  

Any ideas what would cause this behavior?

• Re: Poll Now Fails
          kweise

Byron,

I've seen similar behavior in the past.  Everything appeared to be normal, but if I tried to drill down into any of the performance data charts (cpu utilization, interface bandwidth utilization, etc.) I'd have no data.  All services were reporting fine but if I went into the Monitor Polling Engines tool (Start | SolarWinds Orion | Advanced Features) I noticed the last database update was hours ago.  I haven't run into the problem recently but everything cleared up with a reboot of the polling engine server.  In my case, it at times seemed to coincide with the DBAs taking the Orion database offline for maintenance. 

Hope this helps.

byrona

It turns out that this was a result of the to services SolarWinds Collector Data Processor and SolarWinds Collector Polling Controller not starting.  I had to open a support ticket with SolarWinds from which I received an almost instant response (nice jot SolarWinds!). 

Turns out I had corruption in one or both of my JobsTracker.sdf and/or PollingController.sdf.  I ended up deleting both of those files and running an a repair with both SSCERRuntime-ENU-x86.msi and CollectorInstaller.msi which re-created both of those files.  After doing all of that and restarting all SW services everything started working properly.

krubin

Same issue, and I got this from Solarwinds Support:

1) Go to Windows Services and make sure Message Queuing is started.
                2) Stop all Orion Services.
                3) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Collector\Data and rename JobsTracker.sdf to JobsTracker.OLD and PollingController.sdf to PollingController.OLD
                4) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine.v2\Data and rename JobEngine35.sdf to JobEngine35.OLD
                5) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\Installers
                6) Run JobEngine.v2.msi choose the remove option to uninstall.
                7) Run CollectorInstaller.msi and choose the remove option to uninstall.
                8) Run JobEngine.v2.msi and install this service.
                9) Run CollectorInstaller.msi and install this service.

oiram

Below is the process I usually apply in such cases, like sweeping brush... or axe...

STOP ALL SERVICES

1. open Orion Service Manager

2. click on Shutdown Everything

3. wait until all services are stopped

REPLACE JOB ENGINE (v1) BACKEND

1. go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\

2. rename JobEngine35.sdf file to JobEngine35_OLD.sdf

3. create copy of JobEngine35 - Blank.sdf one and rename it to JobEngine35.sdf

4. right click on properties of the JobEngine35.sdf you have created and untick the read only box and click OK (on W2k3 only)

REPLACE JOB ENGINE (v2) BACKEND

1. go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SolarWinds\JobEngineV2\Data\

2. rename JobEngine35.sdf file to JobEngine35_OLD.sdf

3. create copy of JobEngine35 - Blank.sdf one and rename it to JobEngine35.sdf

4. right click on properties of the JobEngine35.sdf you have created and untick the read only box and click OK (on W2k3 only)

REPLACE JOB TRACKER (COLLECTOR) BACKEND

1. go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SolarWinds\Collector\Data\

2. rename JobTracker.sdf file to JobTracker_OLD.sdf

3. create copy of JobTracker - Blank.sdf one and rename it to JobTracker.sdf

4. right click on properties of the JobTracker.sdf you have created and untick the read only box and click OK (on W2k3 only)

REPLACE POLLING CONTROLLER (COLLECTOR) BACKEND

1. go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SolarWinds\Collector\Data\

2. rename PollingController.sdf file to PollingController_OLD.sdf

3. create copy of PollingController - Blank.sdf one and rename it to PollingController.sdf

4. right click on properties of the PollingController.sdf you have created and untick the read only box and click OK (on W2k3 only)

CLEAR TEMP

1. go to %TEMP%\SolarWinds

2. delete JobEngine and JobEngine.v2 folders

REPAIR SQL COMPACT EDITION

1. open %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SolarWinds\Installers

2. run the SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi and select Repair (only on 64bit OS)

3. run the SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi and select Repair

RESTART SERVICES

1. go back to Orion Service Manager

2. click on Start Everything

=== ALTERNATIVE STEPS ==============================

Repair Job Engine (may not be relevant on recent version of Orion)

2. run the JobEngine.msi and select Repair

Repair Job Engine V2

2. run the JobEngine.v2.msi and select Repair

Repair Information Service

2. run the InformationService.msi and select Repair

Repair Collector Service

2. run the CollectorInstaller.msi and select Repair

Repair SQL CE

2. run the SSCERuntime_x64-ENU.msi and select Repair (only on 64bit OS)

3. run the SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi and select Repair

=== NOTES ==============================

1. I do not do "OLD" files, but simply delete them, but Devs may need oldies to look at to see what went wrong so its up to you really

2. Normally any MSI(s) I install from command line having CMD opened as administrator: msiexec /i PACKAGE

3. Job Engine (v1) may no longer exist on recent installations