This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I change the default community string? (public)

Hi,

Every time I add a new node I have to type erase the default community string (public) and replace it with our standard community string. Is there a way to change the default community string?

Regards,

• In add node, no you can just hit the down arrow though and see the previous entries.

• Then please update my question as feature request.

• I think nobody is using public for the snmp community. I would like to choose from our default snmp communities from a drop down box. Or it should be automaticly filled by predefined snmp community for us instead of public

• You would be surprised how many shops use public/private. Not that that makes it a good thing! ;)

• You would be surprised how many shops use public/private. Not that that makes it a good thing! ;)

I would definitely have to agree.

I have a separate issue.  I managed an Orion instance that serves about 100 customers...each have their own SNMP strings (sometimes a different string per site within a customer).  This makes for a very tedius process to remove all the other strings prior to running a discovery since you can only remove one at a time.  My suggestion would be a two column setup where you have all the available strings in one box and the ones you want in the other and simply --> into the discovery list.

Just a thought.  This is something from a MSP perspective would be very handy.

• Agreed, for Network Sonar or Discovery we have many different community strings for different networks.

I don't want to scan a network with all the community strings I have entered when I only need a specific string for the network I'm scanning. There are 2 problems with this. From a security standpoint, it is sending the strings for other customers devices to the network being scanned & secondly it increases the discovery time having to run through multiple strings before hitting the correct string.
    I know you can adjust the order, but when you have a scheduled rediscovery it's not feasible to change the community string order for each customer.

Allow us to assign different individual strings for each subnet/network scan.

• Adding onto what Network_Guru suggested, I'd like the ability to control this by AD Group so that I can specify what strings are available to what group and I would like the ability to create my own groups for users that are not on my domain but need access to the Orion server.

Regards,

Robert

• Allow us to assign different individual strings for each subnet/network scan.

Not to dismiss your feature request but couldn't you create a new discovery schedule for each subnet and associate the relevant string to each discovery?

• You definitely can.  My biggest issues is that if I have 50 SNMP strings and the network I need to scan is setup as a specific one I have to manually remove 49 strings when I create the discovery. 

I have managed a server that had over 200 specific SNMP strings for different customers.

• Exactly & there is no select all button to remove the strings you don't want. They must be deleted manually one at a time.
    (Wait for the web page to refresh between each deletion).