6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 4:32 PM by familyofcrowes

IPAM Discovery/import

Donald_Francis

I have complained about IPAM's discovery process many times but I think I have finally come to a consolidated thought process on how I would like it to work.

The idea is pretty simple really.  Have IPAM do something similar to that of the toolset program Subnet List. 

Just attach to a router or routers and import their routing tables WITH subnet masks and do a direct import on that.

If you are like me and you have some summary addresses I figure you can connect to that site and pull in the local tables for the individual subnets.

Then IPAM can do something to the effect of just going with the longer subnet mask if their is duplication IE  10.1.0.0/16 gets pulled in via summary but the 10.1.0.0/24's get imported because they are longer matches. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Re: IPAM Discovery/import

Thanks, Donald, for this constructive feedback. I'll mark it for Mav to review.

M

familyofcrowes

I totally agree with you Donald.  I do this manually now.  We are also working on a way to use vlan interfaces.  If we can scan and import the config of a vlan interface we can get the description, IP and subnet mask.  Right now our subnet table is over 1500 subnets.  Thats a HUGE project and time consumer when you think of adding descriptions to these subnets.

Also, why do I have to type in all my credentials again?  Why isn't it shared with the other Orion modules?

Just installed it yesterday....  so still much to learn  :-)

familyofcrowes

another suggestion:  Bulk addition of DHCP servers.  I have over 200 servers to add and at 1 at a time, its taking forever....  and that doesn't include all my VoIP scopes on my Cisco L3 switches.....  fun fun....  NOT

On the positive side....  when done this will be WAY better than what we had!!!

Donald_Francis

All great points and I agree.

Many of the modules are that way, it seems to either to not have taken larger customers into consideration at all or been tailored to smaller customers.  Now if that is the core audience I understand, but if not I think it is bad design and poor testing as in not enough.  

But to be honest they often will excel at what they were weak on overtime.  The huge plus of SolarWinds is they listen and are attentive.

familyofcrowes

Totally agree....  Solarwinds is the the most attentive company to thier user base that I have worked with....   and I'm an old dude!

Also, the service I get from my sales rep, Craig, and Jordan, along with the terrific support from tech support i(latest is David) is the reason we are loyal customers and are throwing Tivoli and three other tools in the trash....