5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 7:58 AM by Dentifrice

Problem with UDT pre-release 2

Dentifrice

Hi,

I installed UDT pre-release 2. For this version, I decided to manage production network equipment instead of testing switches.

The only difference I have is that in production, I'm using SNMPv3.

All my ports have been added without problem but it dosen't find any mac or IP on any ports. Also, for every ports, Vlan number is set to "unknown".

I remember using another product (Netdisco) months ago and having problems with SNMPv3. If I remember correctly, I had to create a snmpv3 context for every vlan in the switch to get it working. I don't know if my problem is related to this.

If someone can make it work with snmpv3, can you tell me what is your snmp config in your switches ?

Thanks

edit : the only switch I can get vlan number is a Cisco 4510R-E

• Re: Problem with UDT pre-release 2
          Dentifrice

I confirm

I switch my cisco device from snmpv3 to snmpv2 and now I see eveything

Dentifrice

Here's another suggestion took from Netdisco.

When you have trunk ports (or any interconnection between network devices), instead of showing a very big list of MAC address, use CDP to show the connected device and it's port at the order end.

mavturner

Regarding the issues with SNMPv3. We did not run into any of these issues in testing, but we will look into this further to see if we can re-produce in house. Your description makes sense (if those branches aren't exposed, we won't be able to access them).

On the trunk port. This is something we are looking at improving in a future release. Thanks for the notes.

Kuz

You will need to add the VLAN context to the view group on the device for each VLAN.

eg.  Snmp-server group <groupName> v3 <auth|noauth> context vlan-<VLAN-ID>

Where the SNMP user belongs to <groupName>

So to add VLAN 16 & 17 do the following:

Snmp-server group MyGroup v3 auth context vlan-16

Snmp-server group MyGroup v3 auth context vlan-17

This is assuming that you have already set up the user, group, and view for general access (non VLAN) to the device for v3.

Hope this helps,