This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Datacenter Port Usage report

I am trying to get a single report that highlights the total # of switch ports per Type (Ethernet, Gig, Ten Gig) per device (in this case switches) that resides in the data center.  To further the complications within this request, we have all unused ports in an Admin Down State.  Additionally those specific ports have been given a description of "UNUSED, RESERVED, or FAULTY) depending upon their current status.  The end report (if possible) would basically have just high level numbers as defined below.

Switch Port Totals

Name                    Interface Type             Total         In Use      Unused      Reserved         Faulty

Switch01               Ethernet                      388         260           18              9                     1

Gigabit Ethernet          48           18             20              10                   0

Switch02               Ethernet                      244         200           30              10                   4

Gigabit Ethernet          48           22             16              9                     1

Ten Gigabit Ethernet    12           6               4                2                     0

Is this a report that is possible to create? And if so, how would I go about doing it?

• So far I was playing with an Advanced SQL query report that had the following **WHICH ISNT WORKING** :(

select InterfaceTypeDescription, count(*) Total,
    sum (case when InterfaceAlias = 'UNUSED' then 1 else 0 end) as Unused,
    sum (case when InterfaceAlias = 'RESERVED' then 1 else 0 end) as Reserved,
    sum (case when InterfaceAlias = 'BAD' then 1 else 0 end) as Bad
    from Interfaces
    where InterfaceAlias in ('UNUSED', 'BAD', 'RESERVED')
    group by InterfaceTypeDescription
    order by count(*) desc
  • BY GEORGE I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The answer to do this is a using the following SQL query

SELECT
    Interfaces.InterfaceTypeDescription AS Interface_Type_Description,
    COUNT(Interfaces.InterfaceType) AS COUNT_of_Interface_Type,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'UNUSED' then 1 else 0 end) as Unused,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'RESERVED' then 1 else 0 end) as Reserved,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'BAD' then 1 else 0 end) as Bad
    FROM
    Interfaces

GROUP BY Interfaces.InterfaceTypeDescription
    ORDER BY 2 DESC

• Actually, I went back to the drawing board to help actually identify only the Ethernet Ports and then identify each of them based upon their actual Interface Speed as the Interface Type Description lists all ethernet ports as "Ethernet" and dont break down the different types of Ethernet interfaces.

Below is my FINAL (for now) working query for my report. 

NOTE: all my devices within a selected datacenter start with the hostname of stl2

SELECT
    Nodes.NodeID AS NodeID,
    Nodes.Caption AS NodeName,
    Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed AS Interface_Speed,
    COUNT(Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed) AS Total,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'UNUSED' then 1 else 0 end) as Unused,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'RESERVED' then 1 else 0 end) as Reserved,
    sum(case when Interfaces.InterfaceAlias = 'BAD' then 1 else 0 end) as Bad
    FROM
    Nodes INNER JOIN Interfaces ON (Nodes.NodeID = Interfaces.NodeID)
     WHERE 
    (
      (Nodes.Caption LIKE 'stl2%') AND
      (
       (Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed = 100000000) OR
       (Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed = 1000000000) OR
       (Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed = 10000000000))
    )

GROUP BY Nodes.NodeID,Nodes.Caption,Interfaces.InterfaceSpeed
    ORDER BY 2 ASC, 3 ASC

• Very nice post, jkeberle, only issue is that this does not seem to include interfaces that are not being monitored by Solarwinds.     Every switch is monitored by Solarwinds, but not every switch port, so I wonder how we can get just the elementary total number of switch port interfaces in the environment.   This would seem like a basic stat Solarwinds should have out of the box.