2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 11:36 AM by chinson

Unmanage Groups

chinson

I need the capability to Unmanage entire Groups.

Let's say I need to take an entire datacenter down for planned SAN maintenance.  Currently there doesn't seem to be a good way to unmanage that whole datacenter so it doesn't skew my availability stats.

I have custom query groups like "Austin Datacenter" that pull everything in certain subnets.  I need to be able to unmanage such a group during a planned maintenance rather than trying to unmanage a whole bunch of hosts at once.

I'd also like to be able to get email alerts when a group (not necessarily an individual node) is unmanaged and remanaged.  That's a warm fuzzy to see "Austin Datacenter has been unmanaged" at the beginning of a maintenance window and "Austin Datacenter is now being managed" in email.

• Re: Unmanage Groups
          qle

What's ironic about this request is that you can actually create these alerts when a group is unmanaged. I just don't see where one would go to unmanage the groups.

• Re: Unmanage Groups
              chinson

Sadly, my only current solution is to shut down the Orion server at the same time I take the datacenter down.  It's really an oversight that I have to take monitoring down during the time when it would be most helpful.  What if something else goes down during maintenance that I need to know about?