This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring OpenFiler iSCSI

Hello.

Has anyone found a way to monitor the iSCSI source from an OpenFiler server?

I installed the Storage Profiler agent on the OpenFiler server.  It is providing the information on the storage server's executive's /ext3 file systems, and all disks defined in the system.   It is not providing information on the iSCSI sources from the server.

Any suggestions.

Tim

• Tim,

We don't support our agent on OpenFiler, although it seems you are getting information from it. We do not get iSCSI information from Linux at this time, although it is very interesting to us.

Brian

• Hi,

Are there any plans to support OpenFiler in Storage Manager, in full or part, as it looks from Tim's post, some monitoring is possible?

While there is a school of thought on this for me, where if there is only a small investment in provisioning a SAN by an organisation, they are unlikely to spend money on a monitoring solution. The flip side of that is that because of the 'parts bin' ethos of the build, monitoring performance is crucial.

Mark

• Mark,

No plans for supporting OpenFiler at this time, but that can always change based on user interest.

Are you using OpenFiler to serve files to your environment, or to do shared storage to your Virtual environment?

Brian

• We have been starting to see small enterprises either implementing or including OpenFiler as an review option to base virtualisation storage on, as the entry point for SAN hardware makes this cost prohibitive for smaller companies.

While this is our visibility as a SolarWinds partner with our customer base, how many customers either have or are looking at OpenFiler as a low cost SAN/NAS solution that would then want to implement a high quality monitoring platform for this.

As I said before on the face of it, if an organisation is using a low cost option for the SAN itself, does that translate to then not spending money on a monitoring solution?