5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 4:45 PM by Steve Welsh

TFTP error backing up IOS images

almsracing

I set up Cattools back in January to pull running configs and IOS images from all of my routers.  Some time in the first week of April, the IOS downloads started erroring.  The running configs are backing up correctly.

It is erroring out trying to write to the target file

For example, I have a router named BSN2811.  When I run the activity to back it up I am getting:

The following command caused an error:\bsn\c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-3i.bin

If I console on that router and run the commands, I get:

TFTP: error code 4 received - 21608

Any ideas?  I have restarted the Cattools Service several times, and disabled the firewall on the server.

• Re: TFTP error backing up IOS images
          almsracing

No one else has run into this issue?

christineb

Almsracing - I guess my first question would be - what changed in your environment? Since no one has chimed in, I would also suggest opening a support ticket, they will need to get some additional information in order to diagnose the issue. 

--Christine 

Steve Welsh

Seeing as you are getting an error when you manually TFTP from the console, it suggests the issue is most likely device related and not a CatTools problem.

TFTP Error code 4 is an Illegal TFTP Operation.

If you are trying to transfer the binary file from the device to the TFTP server, you may want to verify that the file \bsn\c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-3i.bin actually still exists on the device. 

Another possibility worth investigating is the TFTP transfer mode. Refer to your Cisco user manual configuration guide to see if there are commands to change the transfer mode and try change it to binary (or octet mode).  Not sure if this will work, but worth giving it a try.

Please post back your findings.

Regards,

Steve

almsracing

The IOS image files in question exist and are named correctly.  Your suggested answer would indicate that 10 Cisco routers, running 2 different IOS images, 2 Catalyst Switches and an ASA5510 all had the same device error at the same exact time.  All of the equipment in question are able to TFTP with no issues to a TFTP server running on hosts running 2003/2003R2/2008R2/XP and Win7.

I have tested TFTP in all of these environments.  None failed.  The TFTP to the Cattools server ran perfectly for 3 months, and stopped the first week in April.  Honestly I had hoped for a more constructive response. 

Steve Welsh

Sorry, I was under the impression from your initial description of the problem that you had also tried a manual console (telnet/ssh) session to one of the failing devices which is when you received the 'Error 4'.   I therefore provided you with possibilities relating to the error code you were seeing... which was the most constructive response I could offer based on the information provided.

However from your last response, it appears that this is not the case as you say that the TFTP transfers now work OK?

I will need to see CatTools log files to look into this further.  Please raise a support ticket.

Regards,

Steve