This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM and UDT integration

As I understand it UDT is a separate stand-alone product, not an NPM module, much like NCM.  To this end, my assumption is that it utilizes a separate database to house all the nodes and meta data associated with those nodes.  If that is a correct assumption, does anyone know if you would be able to setup SQL jobs to populate the UDT database with nodes to monitor from NPM, again much like you can do with NCM?  The reason I ask is that I'd like to be able to just add devices into one system (NPM) like I do today, and have those devices propagated to the other Solarwinds products I own (NCM and UDT) in the background with me having to add them manually to those individual products as well.  I've read the documentation on the WebUI, and I see that I can run the Web-only installer on my NPM server to get the UDT web components on there so it presents as a unified console, again much like NCM.  Any information that anyone can provide on this point would be greatly appreciated.  Really looking forward to getting UDT up in production once the product licensing is GA later this month.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

• UDT can run standalone or as a module to NPM.  If it is running as a module it will share the same database as NPM.

• Jeff,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I wasn't aware it could run as a true module that shared the same database as NPM; I thought it would require a separate database like NCM does and just would have an integration into NPM, again like NCM.  Quite cool that it will use the same database as NPM.  That will save a lot of time populating with nodes so that I can get up and running quickly to take advantage of the cool new features it brings.  Thanks again!

Mike

• Neither this thread or any UDT documentation that I have seen provide any detailed information about installing UDT into an existing environment (NPM 10.1, APM 3.5, NTA 3.7, NCM 6.0, IPSLAMGR 3.5.1) running on 7 servers (App, APE x 3, WebCons, DB, Syslog). We will most likely be monitoring < 25,000 ports. We have unlimited licensing.

How do I find out the options, benefits and risks for installing this product in a particular manner and work out what the potential performance implications are for our existing servers (APE polling elements are 5200, 4200 and 3100 at present).

Is any official documentation available that provides the above information?

Thanks

Tim

• Tim,

I don't believe this documentation exists for any of our products. I've sent a link to this thread to our InfoDev team so they can comment.

Our performance testing with UDT has shown that installing UDT on top of an existing environments (such as the one you described) will not have a large negative impact. Every environment is unique. If your servers are maxed out on CPU, Memory or have a high disk latency, you will want to avoid adding additional products or load. If everything appears to be running ok and you have spare resources, you shouldn't notice a problem with installing UDT on top of your existing environment.

I assume you are running with default polling intervals. If so, you should be fine to add UDT on top of the installation you described. 

When you install UDT, make sure you install the UDT additional poller (found in the Orion Additional Poller download) on the additional polling engines.

Mav

• Mav,

I think the lack of documentation for installing your products into an existing environment appears to discriminate against repeat customers, and especially larger ones, who often have many of your modules already and who are probably monitoring lots of production equipment. These customers generally have have less flexibility when it comes to needing to understand the implications of adding new functionality as Changes have to go through detailed processes to get local authorization. This is especially important as  your new products are often purchases that have varying levels of "integration" with your other products in the suite and so the risks/benefits need to be clearly understood. Unfortunately I do not have a test/development environment available to me and I am working on this.

I'd have to say that generally I rate SolarWinds documentation as fairly poor and I think you (and we) could benefit from a complete restructure/re-work of it.

It isn't good that I have to go chasing this information, especially as you appear to have already done work on installing into existing environments (where is the discussion of this and the data that came out of it?). As you say, every environment is unique, so rather than make assumptions about UDT's impact on our environment I'd like to understand how the installation is done, what changes will be made to the existing environment (App server, APE, AWC and especially the SQL installation) and what the impact to performance of the various components may be, BEFORE going ahead with anything, and so I can construct the Change document that will be submitted to my management.

How do we define maxed out on memory with MSSQL? We've given our existing DB 28GB and it is all in use, but that is pretty much normal for MSSQL isn't it? What about memory requirements for Application and APEs/AWC? Is more always better, and how much more?

Can you please be specific about where I access the UDT Additional Poller installation package. What about the Additional Web Console installation package? These are not available to me in the Customer Portal.

Thanks
    Tim

• Hi Tim,

Here is a requirements matrix for SolarWinds products inter-operating with Orion NPM:
    SolarWinds UDT, though it does not require Orion NPM, integrates with Orion NPM 10.1 and above. In terms of your environment, with NPM 10.1, APM 3.5, NCM 6.0 already installed, installing UDT 1.0 should not involve any compatibility problems; all four products require Orion NPM 10.1.
    Instead, as a benefit, you will see port level information among the resources on a node details page when you install UDT with NPM.
    Your summary indicates that you installed SolarWinds software on a primary server in your environment, and dedicated an additional poller/server each to NPM, APM, and NCM. Assuming there is sufficient headroom on the primary server, you would be following a sound strategy to install UDT on that primary server and dedicate another poller to UDT monitoring purposes. With a dedicated poller, you can monitor up to 150K ports (AG, p.9) in UDT—which is many times your estimated load (25K ports).
    The bits for installing additional pollers and websites are included in your customer portal under these categories:
    Orion Additional Polling Engine v2011.1.1
    Orion Additional Web Server v2011.1.1
    A set of specific instructions pops up when you run either of the EXE files. Follow the steps related to UDT.
    Regarding your concern with the existing database server, I assume you are specifically wondering if the SolarWinds UDT, compared with the behavior you have observed with the other SolarWinds products, involves significantly greater database I/O. I'm expecting an answer to that from the dev team and will relay along with answers to your database memory questions.
    Doug
  • Tim,

Dev here thinks that 28 GB memory dedicated to SQL is likely sufficient for your current deployment to include UDT. You should monitor disk queue length to ensure it stays low; an upward trend is typically the first sign of trouble.

I'll add information on this topic as I receive it.

Doug

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to docwhite

SolarWinds UDT, though it does not require Orion NPM, integrates with Orion NPM 10.1 and above.

I realize that this thread is a bit dated and see that UDT 1.0 is compatible with NPM 10.1 but I would like to know if UDT 2.0 is compatible with NPM 10.1.3?  The noted knowledge base article is also dated and needs updating.  The UDT matrix does not include v2.0.  Can someone from SW advise?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

*bump*

• rgward,

I checked with the developer of UDT. You would need to upgrade NPM 10.1.3 to 10.2 in order to make it compatible with UDT 2.0.

The matrix in that KB article will be updated.

Do you need other information?

Thanks.

Doug