4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 1:45 PM by pacetti

How can Orion NPM tell me when a router goes on dial backup?

freemen

I need to have Orion alert me when a router switches to a dial backup connection.

Can I do this with either an SNMP trap or with a custom poller?

If so, can anyone help me with finding those for either a Cisco 1841 or 2811?

I appreciate any help.

• Re: How can Orion NPM tell me when a router goes on dial backup?
          pacetti

freemen,

Your answer depends more on the feature set of your 1841 and 2811 devices than it does on the abilities of NPM. 

If they can't provide traps, hopefully they at least signal when they switchover to backup. If they do signal by means of a flipped switch that is given an OID, you'll need at least one Universal Device Poller (UnDP) for each device type.

1. Start with the Cisco MIB Locator for your flavor of 1841 and 2811.
          2. Locate an OID, if such exists, indicating that your backup connection is active.
          3. Create and apply the UnDP for each device type, using the information provided in "Monitoring MIBs with Universal Device Pollers" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide.
          HTH,

netlogix

another possibility could be, if there is an interface for the dialer, then add that to orion, make it unplugable and set up an alert for when interface name = dialer and is up and reset when not true.  I don't have any dialer interfaces, so i can't test this.

freemen

Thanks for that reply pacetti. Another possibility is that it can be done based simply on a change in interface status. In other words, only when a dial back up port comes up do I get an alert. Does that sound feasible?

However it seems that if I am polling a node through a WAN port and that WAN port goes down, then I will not be able to know that the dial backup port has come up (since i cannot poll the node now). Would I solve that by polling the node as a DHCP device so that the node will still be seen as UP by Orion?

pacetti

Thanks for that reply pacetti. Another possibility is that it can be done based simply on a change in interface status. In other words, only when a dial back up port comes up do I get an alert. Does that sound feasible?

This seems to be a feasibly simple solution to the problem.

However it seems that if I am polling a node through a WAN port and that WAN port goes down, then I will not be able to know that the dial backup port has come up (since i cannot poll the node now). Would I solve that by polling the node as a DHCP device so that the node will still be seen as UP by Orion?

If I understand you correctly, I don't think this will work. Designating a device as DHCP will not help if you aren't able to get to the device through your down WAN link. Alerting on the backup interface when it is UP seems like your best bet, assuming that you are maintaining some redundancy for your WAN link.