4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 9:53 PM by bfreking

Error returned when testing e-mail alerts

KenHales

When testing e-mail alerts I get the following error message:

"The transport error code was 0x800ccc14. The server response was not available"

Has anyone encountered a similar error and does anyone have a solution to the problem.

Also, in testing I noticed that they is an option for SSL in the SMTP configuration tab of the Alert Manager but not in the Alert configuration of the Syslog Viewer - any reason for this?

Ken

• Re: Error returned when testing e-mail alerts
          KenHales

Further testing proved that smtp messages sent via telnet from the orion server are successful; strong indication that the problem is within the Orion NPM module.

EXCEPTION STACK: --> The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc14. The server response was not available

KenHales

Restart of all Orion services enabled alerts being sent via alert manager.  Restart of syslog service enabled syslog message alerting via e-mail.

Would be nice if Solarwinds could explain why and when services must be restarted for features to be enabled!

bfreking

Hi KenHales-

I am wondering if you are still facing this trouble?  I have a very similar issue and am also receiving:

EXCEPTION STACK: --> The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc14. The server response was not available.

I also believe it is a problem within NPM or the NPM core services. 

The reason I say this, I've installed a test SMTP mailbomber program on my Orion server and with that program I can send 1000's of SMTP emails to my email account, not missing one.  Orion NPM on the other hand will occasionaly drop them giving me the error message above.

If I restart my Orion server or restart my Orion services the problem goes away for a day, but again comes back and starts dropping my SMTP emails.

I'm wondering if you found a solution?  If so, can you share with me?  I would really appreciate it.  Solar Winds support does not have an answer, my ticket is currently at the Devlopment Team level and they are unable to re-create my scenerio.

Thanks in advance, bfreking