3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 2:14 PM by mavturner

Neighbor Scanning and the F5 Viprion Load Balancer

tpverdi

I would like to know what OID IPAM uses to get the arp table from an F5 device.  We have F5 Viprions that have 4 blades in each device.  Each blade has a unique IP address and the cluster has a management address.  The management address will log you into whatever blade is the active Cluster Manager.  So when using IPAM to do neighbor scanning and putting in the IP of the managment interface, I only get ARP entries for just that blade.  From a CLI perspective, I can do a "clsh arp -a" command to get all the entries from all the blades.  I'm not sure this is an OID to get the same info, but I'll find out.  Is there a way to add multiple IP's for neighbor scanning?

• Re: Neighbor Scanning and the F5 Viprion Load Balancer
          mavturner

When you add a neighbor device, we test the SysContact field to see if the device responds to SNMP (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0). Then we test the IPNetToMediaTable value to see if their is ARP information (1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22).

Then we pull the whole IPNetToMediaTable for the client information. If the F5 supports this table, then we will work with it. 

Can you confirm if the devices replies to these?

Thanks,

Mav

tpverdi

Getting the ARP table on the Viprion works.  The problem is that the F5 Viprion is a Chassis based device that has up to 4 blades/modules in it.  When you log into the device, you are basically logging into the the "master" of the stack.  But the ARP entries are distributed across all blades.  So doing the SNMP Get on that one module only gets the ARP entries that exist on that module, and not all the modules in the chassis.  Each blade does have a unique IP address though, so if I had the ability to add more that one IP  in the Neighbor scanning field, that would solve the issue.

mavturner

Ok that makes sense. I've logged this as a feature request under enhancements for Neighbor Discovery. 

I assume you have different subnets spread across this device correct? If each blade was serving a different subnet, you could add the neighbor device. Obviously this is probably an edge case and most people will not be able to do this.

Sorry there isn't a better work around today on this.