4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 1:27 PM by bshopp

FoE SAN Compatibility

Ottawa_Bob

I had open a case with SolarWinds support with the following question "I’m about to install the FoE (P2P) on servers that I use a SAN drive for the Orion installation. Are there any issues with using SAN drives on the primary and secondary servers? Will the FoE install correctly?"

Just received the following reply “This has never been tested, so we cannot guarantee there won't be any issues with the installation.”

So I’m wondering if anyone else has installed the FoE on servers that are using a SAN connection? Your comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

• Re: FoE SAN Compatibility
          bshopp

I gave that answer to support.  How does the Orion server see the SAN drive?  When FoE installs it looks and determines the install directory and sets up real time replication and monitoring.  It should be fine to monitor the services, just not sure how it would handle the real time replication piece.  You could install an Eval and just try it out before you put on your production system.

Ottawa_Bob

Bshoppp,

Thanks for your reply.

The following are comments from our Windows System Administrator based on their current understanding on the FoE installation process:

The “cloning” process is only a backup and restore (using NTBackup) of the system state and some data, but more importantly the system state. When you restore the system state from one server to another you are restoring the registry from one server to the next. The SAN configuration is stored in the registry and both are unique. When you apply one registry on top of the other you are crushing the current config and breaking the connectivity to the SAN and LUNs as the unique identifiers are no longer valid.

So of course it will break when you apply the system state backup onto another server. The SAN configs are unique to each machine.

Are their assumptions correct or is the FoE process only “restoring” specific registry keys and thereby should have no impact on the unique SAN configurations of the primary and secondary servers?

Bob

bshopp

A system state will restore registry entries that are not already present it will not however, rewrite any entry that already exists.  Yes in that we will write the SAN entries stored in the registry not already present.  As we are using NT Backup for this and not doing our own selective backup, the entire registry is back up and then restored.

If the SAN is a unique entry I would think it would be safe.  I am still digging into this, but any more info you can provide would help.

bshopp

Failover Engine's setup component manipulates what is backed up and what is restored in respect of those elements of the system state backup that pertain to the hardware, so it’s not as simple as a pure backup and restore of the system state and program-related files.

However, due to the myriad different types of hardware components, such as disks, NICs, and so on, there may be occasions when some additional configuration is required on the secondary post-restore. 

In the case of SANs, yes, it may be necessary to re-configure LUN information in some cases.