9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 9:00 AM by santucci4

Credential Test Failed...

b1ch2m

On our Cisco switches SNMP is activated and works fine for Solarwinds NPM.

But in the new software Switch Port Mapper I get an error message "Credential Test Failed".

It doesn't matter if I use SNMP v1/2c or SNMPv3

Does anyone know what I have to activate on my Cisco switches that I can use this software?

• Re: Credential Test Failed...
          SteveSW

b1ch2m,

Both products test credentials using the same general approach. You may have your SNMP timeouts set different on each product and are timing out on the Swith Port Mapper. Try increasing the timeout value.

Main Menu -> View -> Application Settings -> SNMP Settings Tab.

--HTH

Steve

b1ch2m

I changed the default value to the max 10000ms with no result...

any other ideas?

Does anyone using this software already?

SteveSW

b1ch2m,

If you are confident that the credential is correct the first thing I would do is to use a packet sniffer like WireShark to verify that a valid value comes back from the device during the credential test. Filter the sniffer to the SNMP protocol and communication between the host running SPM and the switch you are trying to access. Begin the sniff, test the credential, and turn off the sniff after the credential test reports that it failed. If you PM me that packet capture I would be happy to look at it to determine the actual response the device is sending back. That should confirm right away if there is an issue in the software or if there is an issue on the device or between the devices.

--

Steve

b1ch2m

Hi Steve,

You won't believe it, but after I had successfully tested an IP address from a server (and not a switch), suddenly all the switches answering properly...

I haven't made any other config changes and I cannot explain this behavior, but I'm glad it's working now ;-)

davids_sustainit

I am having a similar issue.

Windows 7 64 bit machine running the solarWinds Bandwidth Monitor.

netgear firewall with SNMP enabled for the IP address of the Windows 7 machine.

The netgear firewall only uses snmp v2c.

keep getting Credential test failed. 

My understanding is that I dont have to fill in the credentials section as this is not a v3 device.

Am I being a numpty and missing something obvious here?

kay3007

Hello,

I m using real time bandwidth monitor.. I have set community string in snmp configuration. But still I m getting credentials test failed..

santucci4

Hey, all, I too was having this problem and then it dawned on me, am I being denied by the ACL I have set for SNMP access. Yup, I saw the deny log going up everytime I tried using my switchport mapper. After looking at the ACL, I noticed that my wireless subnet wasn't in there, so I jumped on a management subnet that was and it worked perfectly.