3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 4:04 AM by jnewell

SQL filter to show Top XX for current group member nodes only

DoctorHurt

In Orion I've created Groups for each customer. Each group contains all the network devices dedicated to that customer's environment. I'm trying to show Top XX web resources (Interface Utilization, Traffic, Errors/Discards, etc) on the Group Details page that contains only the nodes in the currently viewed Group.

I can easily do a SQL filter like:

SysName Like '12345_*'

where 12345=custID since we prefix all our device names with the customerID. The problem is then customer 12345 devices show up on ALL Group Detail pages.

All groups names are also prefixed with the customerID like so: "12345 Customer Name" so I was thinking I could possibly use something like:

SysName Like '${GroupName}*'

But this doesn't seem to work. I get a blank TopXX report. Not even sure if the var ${GroupName} is valid in a SQL filter.

Any ideas how I can tell it to show only group members for the currently  viewed group in the Top XX web resource on the Group Details page?

• Re: SQL filter to show Top XX for current group member nodes only
          sirpaw

Hi Doc,

As far as I know, you can't use a variable string ($) in a like statement, but I never tried using that before, usually its a simple string and commonly i use a pattern in a node's caption or their custom properties, like "Nodes. Caption LIKE" or "Nodes.ClusterGrp". You can also go to Manage Views and specify a view limitation specifying the allowed devices for that group. The Account Limitation Builder can help you with this also.

Hope this helps. =)

DoctorHurt

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried using the View Limitation but the problem here is that I can only limit the page to a specific group (or possibly group pattern, but I run into the same problem either way). We I do so and then try to open the Group Details page for any other group then the one I allowed in the View Limitation, it gives me an error:

Account Limitation Error

You do not have permission to view Net Object "C:11".

Also, even in the group that is allowed to show in that page, the Top XX object still shows the Top XX from ALL nodes, not just the group member nodes.

I looked at the Account Limitation Builder and it appears it has the same limitations.

So the question still remains: is there any way to create a custom view in a Group Details page that shows details for ONLY the group member nodes (Top XX for the group nodes only)? I would love to be able to provide my customer's a Top XX view of only the nodes in their customer group or provide our NOC a way to easily drill down to a customer group and see this same info.

It seems to me that the logic to do this is already built into Orion. For example, when I look at the Group Details page for any group, it shows me the Last 25 Events for only the group members, Active Alerts for only the group members, etc. This logic just doesn't seem to be available for any other web Resource I try to add to the Group Details page.

jnewell

Wow, this is an old post! But I have recently been trying the same things, specifically with Syslog messages.

The view I have created shows all Syslog messages for the user limitation, and I have tried everything I can think of to limit the page down to those messages that relate to the groups, adding new page limitations and attempting to use the $ variables for names to this doesn't work, nor does the variable on the page resource (as well as attempting to restrict the resource with SQL queries).

I am not far off either suggesting to create individual group views for those that I need, but that seems excessive, seeing as these are meant to form part of a nested map structure.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?