This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DS3k/4K and Storage Profiler

FormerMember
FormerMember

I've setup the demo of storage profiler on a W2K8R2 server. I also installed the LSI SMI-S provider on the same server. I've discovered my DS3400 (running code level 07.35.41.02) and I see all the appropriate LUNs. I am looking to start tracking disk metrics, however it doesn't appear like the profiler is checking these at the moment. I followed the evaluation guide and the screen by screen guide for the ds3k/4k/5k setup. When can I expect disk I/O metrics to start coming across? Did I miss a configuration step?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Ok, I figured out what the deal is. 15 minute intervals and the scaling has to be changed to see immediate results. Default 24 hour graphs do not contain enough data points yet at this time to display information. I have a second question. My 3400 is on code revision 7 but my 4700 is on code revision 6. Is it possible to host both the legacy SMI-S provider and the "New" SMI-S provider on the same server? It would seem like a waste to have to have 2 servers for each SMI-S provider.

• It wont be possible to install both the legacy and new SMI-S Provider on the same machine. However, you can use the same Profiler Agent to communicate with both the legacy and new SMI-S Providers, i.e., monitor both your 3400 and 4700

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

I setup a win2k8 server to poll for my 4700 separate from my 3400. Again, the difference is that the 3400 is on code level 7.35.xx.xx and the 4700 is on code level 6.60. I setup the Legacy Engenio Provider with the appropriate ip addresses for both controllers. I walked through the agent setup for the 4700 and I've got a couple issues. The first issue is that the GUI spits out the following error when trying to save the configuration: This page contains the following errors: error on line 9 at column 6: xml declaration allowed only at the start of this document BELOW IS A REDNERING OF THE PAGE UP TO THE FIRST ERROR.

The second issue is that the poller doesn't seem to be working. I tried starting the cimworkshop to check out the CIM listing but, it's been a while since I've used it. Does anyone have any insight on what could be wrong?

• With the GUI issue, are you using Chrome for a browser?  Currently we don't support it and it will throw that error whenever you save configurations (but the changes and everything will be made)

On the second poller, are you referring to a Profiler Agent or the legacy SMI-S provider?  cimworkshop cannot be tested against Profiler to confirm working (Profiler can test the cim provider to see if it is working.  If you would like, PM me your email and I'd be more than happy to do a GTM with you and get all of this sorted it.  Thanks!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to animelov

I figured out the issue. One of the SW guys called me back about the demo and they were nice enough to work through it with me. It turns out the legacy SMI-S poller was installed properly but the issue we were having related to communication across the network. The resolution to the issue was to install an agent on the device locally then change the configuration to reference that agent poller on the server with the legacy SMI-S provider installed on it. Once we did that everything worked fine. Prior to that we were getting an error 400 in IE. You are correct on your assumption that I was using chrome. Fortunately, I have like 4 different browsers installed and one of them worked. 

• Good deal!  Sorry for the late response on thwack, but if you need anything else, feel free to post again or email one of us @ SW.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to animelov

I appreciate it. You guys are pretty solid with support. Thanks. Nice avatar btw. Did he die or did he live?

• Ahh, such an unfortunate end, though producers said they come back one day and do side stories.  But according to my wife, episodes 25 and 26 never happened, so, according to her, still alive :)

• guys, i have ds4700 to monitor in profiler manager too. tried to install the smi-s  v10.19 (downloaded from lsi) into a VM server win2003r2. but failed....

any sepecific requirement for it work? i've followed the guide.

btw, can the smi-s installed together with profiler manager?

thanks in advance..

• Officially we don't support 10.19 yet, but initial testing is showing that it works.  10.15 is the standard that we're still using for now though:

Windows: www.lsi.com/.../Windows_Installer-WS32_10.15.GG.07.zip 

In any case, yes, you can install it on the same machine as the Profiler/STM server, as most customers do.  One thing to note however, is that if you install another vendor's SMI-S provider on the same machine, you will run into port conflicts.  So, let me ask you this, whenever you hit the 'test' button while configuring the array, what message pops up?