6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 10:51 AM by RichardLetts

Traps to NetPerfMon

ErikL

Hi,

Am I right, or are we still missing the possibility to forward a Trap to the NetPerfMon?

I'm monitoring some APC UPSes, and would like to get the "UPS: On battery power in response to an input power problem." in my Active Alerts in Orion. Later when the power gets back with another trap, I want to clear the alert.

I can send email, SMSes, play fancy music, delete trap, execute a whole bunch of external apps.. but I dont find a way to keep the most important tool (Orion) updated with the latest event ;-)

HELP! :-)

• Re: Traps to NetPerfMon
          Andy McBride

You can't clear one trap from another one but Message Center will always show you the most recent. If the device sends an on battery trap followed by an on line power trap you will see both.

ErikL

Hi,

Yes, I'm aware of that. That wasnt my real issue...

My real Issue was how to get these traps into Orion Alerts in the first place. I'll try and explain. In the "Advanced Alert Manager" I can choose "NetPerfMon Event Log" in the "Trigger Actions". This choise doesnt exist in the "Trap Viewer / Alert Actions".

Any idea?

Andy McBride

Traps automatically show up in the trap log, but not the event log. You are correct that this is not an option today If you want to see events and traps on one interface use the Message Center tab.

FunkBuddha

I'm curious as to why this is such a difficult issue to resolve. I'm wanting to do the same thing BGP messages but the only way I can figure to do it is to maybe set up a UnDP poller for the BGP status and alert when it changes. I would much rather be able to take a trap or syslog message and create an event from it.

Donald Kasper

Hey, I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if this feature is in the pipeline yet?

RichardLetts

You can use a custom SQL alert on a node to generate an alert. e.g. if you have received a BGP trap in the past hour indicating that a session has gone down:

WHERE NODEID IN ( select NODEID from traps

INNER JOIN trapvarbinds tv

ON traps.trapid = tv.trapid

WHERE traps.traptype = 'BGP4-MIB:bgpTraps.0.2'

AND Datediff(hour, traps.datetime, Sysdatetime()) <= 1

AND acknowledged = 0

AND tv.oid LIKE '1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2.%'

AND tv.oidvalue = 'idle(1)'

)

for the original question about UPS traps one  would make the reset condition for the alert the trap that the power had been restored that came after the last alert that said the UPS was on battery.