29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 2:29 PM by PHA

How to make a report showing just C: drive free space, only on Win2008 R2 machines?

PHA

I just I am just not getting the base concepts or something. I need a report that shows me the free space on just the C: drive, and just on my Win2008 R2 clients. (The R2 Service Pack 1 won't install if there is not at least 8G free space, so I'm trying to find that out ahead of time). I see the example Inventory and Volume Status reports, but what I don't get is how to make a filter that specify that the volume is just drive C:, and that the OS is "Windows 2008 R2". I see that there is a field called "Vendor", but that seems to only have the value "Windows", which is too broad .

So: what fields do I need to filter for a condition like 'OS = Microsoft Windows 2008 R2', and also filter for a condition like "Volume = C:\"? I see where I can choose the "Available Free Space", but not how to limit the report to only 1 volume.

Thanks, and sorry for the dense newbie question.

• Re: How to make a report showing just C: drive free space, only on Win2008 R2 machines?
          borgan

Try Machine Type as the field for the OS and try VolumeDescription as the variable using wither "contains" or "starts with" as the qualifiers to filter for the C drives.

• Re: How to make a report showing just C: drive free space, only on Win2008 R2 machines?
              PHA

Thanks. That does it. But how do I specify that the node has to be a VM? When I go add a new field under "Select Fields"  or "Filter", I only see "Node","Volumes" and "Polling Engine" as choices; nothing that indicates any of the VM attributes to select to report on, or filter by.

PHA

There Vendor seems to always be "Windows", regardless of whether it is a VM or a physical machine. I see on the ESX reports that those reports have fields that come from a drop down called "Virtual Machines". The fields on that look to be what I want. But how do I get that as a drop down choice on my "Select" fields? The ESX report has "Node Details" and "Virtual Machines"; when I go to select fields, I have a different set of drop down choices.

borgan

You are correct. I am still looking into that, but at this point I see two possible ways to access data only for VMS. You will need to construct a custom SQL report do that data can be queried from both the Nodes table and the appropriate VM table, or you could use a custom node property to designate the VMs. How many VMs do you monitor?

PHA

Currently I have 95 VMs, with more coming. So even a custom variable is not an ideal situation, since I'd have to enter it 95 times, and remember to enter on every new VM that gets added.

It's hard to believe that the capability to choose both volume information and VM information is not available without some customized SQL query. It's as if SW never expected anyone to run a report like this, to be able to access the volumes and the VM tables at the same time .. All I want is a free space report on my nodes, and setting a filter to tell me only about certain subsets ...

I'm not a SQL guy. And it was hard enough to find what fields I needed to filter on so far, since I haven't been able to find any documentation that lists what you've been able to tell me (thank you so much for that, BTW - I realized I haven't said that yet). How can I make this work? (FYI - it took me less time to look at each VM manually, than it's taken me to get this far on this one report. And it's not even complete ... I'm really disappointed in the reporting of SW so far, based on my one experience so far)

borgan

Actually, it shouldn't take too long to sort the node list in the Custom Property editor to show the VMs if they have some common text in the node name. Then, you could enter the custom property data all at once.

borgan

Sorry, meant to add more.....

Then you could create a dynamic group referencing the custom property that would automatically add new VMs to the group as long as the custom property was populated when a new VM is added to the database.

PHA

No, our naming convention does not contain anything that identifies a machine a s a VM rather than a physical server. So there's no way to sort all my nodes in any order that keeps just the VMs together. And that's still a clunky work-around.

So there's no easy way to get a report on free space on my nodes that are just VMs. Is there any way to see the SQL equivalent of the report I've already created, so I can use that as a starting point for a new report that joins the 2 tables (and where do I find out what the tables are? And what the fields are? There has to be some documentation somewhere, I can't just go poking in SQL Manager and hoping my guesses are right. :-)).

byrona

Ok, decided to try and take a stab at this... no guarantees...

Go and create a new report in Report Writer and for the report type choose "Advanced SQL".  Then try plugging this in for you report and see if it will work.

SELECT
                                      Nodes.NodeID AS NodeID, Nodes.Caption AS Node_Name
                                       FROM
                                      Volumes INNER JOIN Nodes ON (Volumes.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID)
                                       WHERE 
                                      (
                                        (Nodes.MachineType LIKE '%Windows 2008 R2%') AND
                                        (Nodes.EntityType = 'Orion.VirtualMachine') AND
                                        (
                                         (Volumes.VolumeDescription LIKE '%C:\%') AND
                                         (Volumes.VolumePercentUsed >= 90))
                                      )

PHA

Great! Thank you SO much. I am off tomorrow, but I will try that Monday, when I get back.

Thanks for all the help.

byrona

SELECT
                                             FROM
                                             WHERE 
                                            (
                                              (
                                            )

Just to note, I think this should show you all Nodes that are Windows 2008 R2, are Virtual Machines, and have a C:\ drive equal to or over 90% used.  If this works it should be easy to modify the drive utilization part, just let me know what you need it to be and I can adjust it.

Just to note, to find the Windows version you need to look in the Nodes table for the MachineType column and to find Virtual Machines you need to look in the Nodes table for the EntityType column.

borgan

Thanks byrona. I really thought we might be heading to a custom SQL report. I tried your query in my ESX 3.5i environment and got no results. All of my VMs show as"Orion.Nodes" in the EntityType field. Did the Nodes.VirtualMachines variable return results for you?

byrona

Thanks byrona. I really thought we might be heading to a custom SQL report. I tried your query in my ESX 3.5i environment and got no results. All of my VMs show as"Orion.Nodes" in the EntityType field. Did the Nodes.VirtualMachines variable return results for you?

Yes, this worked for me.  When I look at the EntityType field in the Nodes table I show my VM's set to "Orion.VirtualMachine".

Are you leveraging the vCenter API polling?  I am not sure what part of the virtualization monitoring needs to be configured for Orion to flag the nodes as it has done for me, all I know is that I have pretty much everything configured for VMWare monitoring.

borgan

I was expecting it to be tie to the VCenter information, so, no, I do not get the level of detail that is needed.

So, PHA, if you are using VCenter, you should be able to get the data you are after now thanks tho byrona. All you would have to do is adjust the space availability threshold to the value you want in the SQL query.

PHA

I was expecting it to be tie to the VCenter information, so, no, I do not get the level of detail that is needed.

So, PHA, if you are using VCenter, you should be able to get the data you are after now thanks tho byrona. All you would have to do is adjust the space availability threshold to the value you want in the SQL query.

I put in this, into an ADVANCED SQL report

SELECT
                                                           FROM
                                                           WHERE 
                                                          (
                                                            (
                                                          )

And got back no results at all. Is there something more I should be doing? I did a NEW report, type of ADVANCED SQL, inserted the above text, hit PREVIEW ... and got back nothing ... Has to be something simple I am doing/not doing ...

borgan

PHA, I looked at Report Writer in a little more detail and came up with a way to creatre the report without resorting to the custom SQL option.

Here are screen shots of how to use SolarWinds Report Writer that may also get you what you’re looking for:

borgan

Sorry, I posted before I attached the other screenshots:

PHA

I don't have an option to add "Interfaces". I do not see it in the "Node Details", when I go to add this SELECT field. (I can't seem to insert a screenshot ...) I don't know why I don't have an option to add it, but all I have are "Node Details", "Volumes', and "Polling Engines" as options to choose, after I add a field. And "Interface Name" is not on any of those menus.

I suppose I will try making a SQL report, using your screenshot as a guide ...

borgan

If you choose the "Inventory" report type from scratch, you will see Interface menus.

borgan

I saw the same thing in my ESX 3.5I environment. As byrona posted earlier in this thread, if you have ESX v4 (VCenter), you should see the actual virtual machine names.

PHA

I saw the same thing in my ESX 3.5I environment. As byrona posted earlier in this thread, if you have ESX v4 (VCenter), you should see the actual virtual machine names.

I have ESX 4.1 Update 1, and vCenter 4.1. I do not see any options to add a field that says anything about "Virtualization". The ESX servers are being recognized as VMware servers, and I do have the polling set to include VMware on discovery, and they do have a valid ID and password for discovery. When I create a new report from "Inventory", I can not add a field that says anything about "Virtualization". I only have "Node Details", which says nothing about virtualization, and says nothing about "Interfaces" (so I could limit it to "Interfaces" that contain "VMware").

Sorry, but I am seeing none of what you keep describing to me. So either I'm even denser than I thought, or something is more screwed up than I first thought. :-(

If I could post a screenshot, I would. But I can't seem to post anything but text, for whatever reason.

byrona

I have ESX 4.1 Update 1, and vCenter 4.1. I do not see any options to add a field that says anything about "Virtualization". The ESX servers are being recognized as VMware servers, and I do have the polling set to include VMware on discovery, and they do have a valid ID and password for discovery. When I create a new report from "Inventory", I can not add a field that says anything about "Virtualization". I only have "Node Details", which says nothing about virtualization, and says nothing about "Interfaces" (so I could limit it to "Interfaces" that contain "VMware").

When you look at the Nodes table in your database there is a column called EntityType.  In there you should see nodes that have the EntityType of Orion.VirtualMachine as you can see in my screenshot below...

PHA

When you look at the Nodes table in your database there is a column called EntityType. 

Still not following you. Look at Nodes *how*? You mean by creating a new report, and adding a field? If so, then no, I do not see anything called "EntityType".  Here's what I did - I created a new report, based on "Inventory". When I go to add field, *now* I see a drop down called "Interfaces", which I did *not* see before, on the report I have already created. But any way, I see nothing called "EntityType" on any menu that I can access, when adding a field.

I'm guessing my troubles stem from this? That I'm not even starting the report correctly, because I am not seeing this "EntityType"?

BTW - how can I post a screen shot, so you can see what I am talking about? I can't seem to paste in a screen capture from the Win 7 Snipping Tool; I can't paste in an image I capture via Print Screen; I can't paste in a Word doc that has the screen shot in it. What I am doing wrong, that I can't show you a screen shot?

qle

Still not following you. Look at Nodes *how*?

The EntityType that Byron is referring to requires that you view the database directly through something like Database Manager.

Stepping back to the Advanced SQL report for a minute, do you have results for the following query?

SELECT Nodes.NodeID AS NodeID, Nodes.Caption AS Node_Name
                                                                                          FROM Volumes INNER JOIN Nodes ON (Volumes.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID)
                                                                                          WHERE ((Nodes.EntityType = 'Orion.VirtualMachine'))

PHA

The EntityType that Byron is referring to requires that you view the database directly through something like Database Manager.

AH. I thought as much ...

Stepping back to the Advanced SQL report for a minute, do you have results for the following query?

SELECT Nodes.NodeID AS NodeID, Nodes.Caption AS Node_Name
                                                                                              FROM Volumes INNER JOIN Nodes ON (Volumes.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID)
                                                                                              WHERE ((Nodes.EntityType = 'Orion.VirtualMachine'))

I do. I get 3 and more lines per each VM that is listed. I wish I could show you, but I can't seem to insert screenshots in this forum.

BTW -I was able to finally get the report to work by starting over, and specifying an "Inventory" report. So I *mostly* have what I need. I still need to filter on only Win2008 R2 machines, that don't have SP 1 installed.

PHA

If you choose the "Inventory" report type from scratch, you will see Interface menus.

That's what I originally did - choose an "Inventory" type report to create what I have so far. So I have to scrap it all, and start over from scratch?

PHA

Ok, so I started all over again from scratch, choosing the "Inventory" report type, and this time I *am* seeing the Interfaces" menu, so I can do as you suggest. And that (almost) seems to be working. I say "almost", since I seem to have at least 3 interfaces that contain the word "VMware" for all my VMs. So each machine is appearing 3 times in the report ... <SIGH> But: I am closer! LOL  ... perhaps I will filter for just "VMware PCI Ethernet Adapter" ...

BTW ... how can I tell it to sort in "Node Name" order? I don't want to group, just sort alphabetically ...