5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 4:51 PM by SteveSW

Why does using SNMP Enabler lock SNMP settings afterwards?

mongie

I've just run the SNMP enabler, and it appears to lock down the SNMP settings on servers that have been updated.

How do I "unlock" the settings?

• Re: Why does using SNMP Enabler lock SNMP settings afterwards?
          SteveSW

mongie,

I am not sure what you mean by 'lock down' but you should be able to change the settings in the service manager:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Right Click the 'SNMP Service' and click 'Properties'.

You can change the contact, location, and services supported form the 'Agent' tab.

Change trap settings in the 'Trap' tab.

In the 'Security' tab you can change the settings that SNMP Enabler let you set. You can add/edit the community string and select which hosts you will receive packets from.

--HTH

Steve

mongie

I'm aware of where to set the settings in Windows, but when I view those settings after running the SNMP enabler, they are greyed out and unable to be changed.

SteveSW

mongie,

I see. When you ran the SNMP Enabler it ran using the permissions you gave it (ideally domain admin). When you interact with the Services screen you will be using the security rights you are currently running under. Make sure that you are logged in with administrative rights.

When you ran the SNMP Enabler did you get any error messages or did you cancel the process at any time?

--HTH

Steve

mongie

It ran as domain admin, and I am trying to change it as domain admin.

There were no erorrs or anything that I noticed, and it completed successfully.

SteveSW

mongie,

Does bouncing the system fix the issue?

If something unusual happened during the installation/configuration it should be in the logs. Check the following two logs:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\SNMPEnabler (or ProgramData\SolarWinds\SNMPEnabler): This is the log for SNMP Enabler. If an error condition occurred it will be in there.

C:\Windows\setupapi.log: This is the log for the sysocmgr system utility. It is what actually does the installing of the SNMP feature.

If there is an error listed we can take a look at it. Let us know if bouncing the system worked.

--HTH

Steve