This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need help in analysis of total bytes transfered interface chart

I'm having an issue trying to wrap my brain around what I am seeing. I have setup an interface chart to monitor the total bytes transferred on an interface, and it climbs up to around 4gb, then resets to zero. I have seen it reset to zero at lower numbers as well. I attached a print out of the interface chart.

Would you please explain what exactly this is telling me?

Thanks!!

• This is because the counter is 32bit. Therefore it cannot hold number higher than 2^32, which is 4GB.

• FHR-Phil,

You are most likely seeing counter rollover which is normal. When your device's counter gets to its max it restarts back to 0. The reason you see it reset at a slightly different point is that you are seeing the last value before reset which may be different distances from the maximum depending upon when the poll took place. Counters are usually either 32 bit or 64 bit. I suspect you are seeing the results of a 32 bit counter (4 GB max) getting reset.

--HTH

Steve

• Good to know! I didn't even think of that!

Can I ask this then, is there a way to track how much data an interface transmits or receives based on an application or port? Or would that be relegated to the Orion NTA instead of the toolset?

• FHR-Phil,

You can check out Toolset's Netflow Realtime Analyzer tool to see if it will give you the level of information that you need. If you want detailed information on your flows then you would want to check out SolarWind's NTA product.

--HTH

Steve