This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting Based on Node Groups rather than Custom Properties

Hi all,

we want to do away with our custom properties as we have just come accross the grouping with dynamic SQL queries which we feel is a better way to group our nodes dynamicly and automaticly.

However...

In Alert Manager, I cannot seem to base an Alert Trigger condition on Node Groups. Is this possible?

THanks

Mario

• Right now there isn't a way using the standard alerts pages, but you can use a custom SQL alert and use this:

(
    Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name
                 from ContainerMemberSnapshots
                    inner join Containers on
                    Containers.ContainerID = ContainerMemberSnapshots.ContainerID
                 where Containers.Name = '<*****PUT YOUR GROUP NAME HERE*****>')
    ) and (
    Not Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name
                    inner join Containers on
                 where Containers.Name = '<*****GROUP NAME TO IGNORE HERE*****>')
    )

@Solarwinds - I don't know if this has made it to your features to add list, but add it, please.

• Hi Netlogix,

thanks a lot for that script...

Can you just explain what the second condition is for?

Just to give you am example of what I am trying to achieve.

We will have 3 dynamic groups

-Access Switches

-Distribution Switches

-Core Switches

I would like to trigger interface down alerts on Core and Distribution switches, but not access switches.

How would I modify your code to achieve something like that?

thanks again

Mario

• OK...

this is what my WHERE statement looks like now...

where (interfaces.Status = 0) AND (

Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name

inner join Containers on

where Containers.Name = 'XXX Distribution Switches')

)

It is not working.

Have I got your code in the right place?

When creating a SQL query in Alert Manager, it does not let me change the SELECT statement that it automaticaly populates when you select the type of resource that you want to base your alert on.

I have not got a SELECT statement that includes the interfaces.Status field. Should I have?

Thanks

Mario

• Is the Advanced SQL a Interface alert?  And the Group a Node Group?

If so, try:

Node.Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name
          inner join Containers on
    )

The caption it was getting was probably the Interface caption not the node's caption.  I am not positive if it's node.caption or nodes.caption

• Hi netlogix,

yes this is an Advanced SQL alert in Interfaces and the trigger condition must be...

Interface = down

Node Group = Distribution Switches

I have tried to validate the SQL in your post and it fails advising that Node.caption and nodes.caption could not be found.

I'll try searching the SW tables to see if i can figure out what the right table field is.

Mario

• Hi,

Sorry,

the error message is advising that the Multi-part identifier "Nodes.Caption" could not be Bound. Not Found. I mis-read the message.

Does that mean anything to you?

Thanks

Mario

• Try this:

inner join Nodes on Interfaces.NodeID = Nodes.nodeID
      Nodes.Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name
          inner join Containers on
    )

(I didn't realized that it didn't automatically join the nodes table.)

• Mate, that worked a treat!

only thing I had to change was the interfaces.status = 2 rather than 0. I looked in the table and found that interfaces that are down are given a value of 2.

Do you think that this will work if it is applied to a group that has subgroups in it? Or do you think I have to list the groups in the where containers.name ='group name' bit??

How would I specify a list?

thanks very much for your help on this!

Mario

• Right, i just tried to turn the where = command to a where IN command so that I can specify a list of group names and I get a SQL syntax error when validating the syntax.

I am new to SQL so not sure if I have done the where clause right... Can someone check this over and give me any pointers?

inner join Nodes on Interfaces.NodeID = Nodes.nodeID

where (interfaces.Status = 2) AND (

Nodes.Caption in (Select ContainerMemberSnapshots.Name

inner join Containers on

where Containers.Name IN ('XXX Distribution Switches', 'XXX Core Switches')

)

• Hi,

I've just tried to use a Parent Group to base the alert on hoping that it would include nodes in the subgroups however it has not worked.

Looks like i will have to list every sub-group which is a shame, unless you know of a way to make this work with parent groups and subgroups?

Mario