This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

best syslog rules for enterprise network

hey all,

can anybody give me an advice to implement rules,filters, and actions for large network environment 

7 core switches

300 and distribution and access switch

15 routers , Wlan controllers 100 access point 

thanks,

• Check my other post for what rules I've documented for ASAs.  These rules are great for the first 7 rules if you've got an ASA.  It will also handle a lot of other devices--although some exceptions are probably needed.  Then you can process all the other devices.

It's near impossible to provide a one shoe fits all for any enterprise.

Syslog, by it's very nature, behaves differently per vendor, per hardware. 

In general EMERGE, CRITICAL (Varies) & ALERTS (varies wildly) should be emailed.  But some devices will sapm you with things at CRIT & ALERT that are not critical or worthy of alerting.

Find a GREP tool for the OSes you use.  I prefer to perform GREPs right on the syslog server (Windows) rather that across network shares.  Simply far faster.   I use WinGRep, but the product doesn't function well past Server 2003--so I'm looking at other Windows GREP GUIs.   Learning a good grep tool is vital to being able to get what you need to know from your logs.

How you organize--depends upon your enterprise and, to some degree, how you think.  If you have a problem in CITY-A, do you want your logs segregated by Location  (in most cases YES).   If you have lots of WAN-to-WAN issues, you might prefer to have all your WAN routers logged to a single folder.   We've broken them up by Distributions beneath a site.  FW are separate usually due to sheer volume.  We also separate wireless because it is a large volume and there is a lot that can be ignored on the wireless side.

\\site-A\Distrib-A\2011-04\2011-04-13_SITE-A-DISTRIB-A.log

\\site-A\Distrib-B\2011-04\2011-04-13_SITE-A-DISTRIB-B.log

Every segmentation requires a different rule and a different filter.  So you will find limits to how much you can carve things up.

I can tell you the the WLAN controllers may send you thousands of ALERTS a day.  Which you may be justified in ignore 100% of them.  Other ALERTs form routers and switches you SHOULD be acting on. I don't know if I've seen an ALERT on a WLC that was worth an email.