This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Request: Remote Windows Script Monitor

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hello,

This has been driving me nuts and it's not available any any version of APM.

Can we please have a 'Remote' Windows Script Monitor that is basically exactly the same as 'Windows Script Monitor', but is always run locally and the Credential selected is used for ${USER} and ${PASSWORD}.

Right now for any Windows Script Monitor the Credential field is essentially useless as it always runs locally.  This means we have to hard-code (either in the code or as parameters) any customer credentials, which is bonkers when the APM credential library already stores their credentials.

It could even be a toggle button on the current Windows Script Monitor that says like 'Remote Script', and ticking that launches it locally but populates ${USER} and ${PASSWORD} from the selected Credential.

Thanks,

Andy.

• Ok, I must be missing something here because the Credential for Monitoring is definitely passed to the ${USER} and ${PASSWORD} variables. Can you provide an example of the trouble you're running into?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to qle

It is passed, but for a Windows Script Monitor the Credential also seems to be used to actually launch the script locally on the machine, so the only credentials you can pick to launch the script are either <None> or the credentials for the local machine user - anything else results in an 'undefined' error.

I always thought it was odd, so either we've been totally missing something obvious or it is like how I described it.

As an example, you want to write a script that uses WMI on a remote machine for which the data returned needs parsing.  In the vbscript you'd want to pass the remote IP and the credentials to login to that remote machine - something you'd want SolarWinds to pass, so for the Windows Script Monitor arguments you put in ${IP} ${USER} ${PASSWORD} and select the relevant credentials for that remote machine you currently monitor.

That makes total sense and is how I expected it to work, but it doesn't appear to work like that.  The script will not run with anything other than <None> or the credentials of the local machine, and of course by doing that you can't select the actual credentials you want to pass for the remote machine.

Andy.

• Ok, I understand your beef with it now. You disagree with the fact that the credentials needed to launch the script monitor need to match the credentials on the remote system the monitor is assigned to.

Even though I work in an Active Directory environment that leverages this feature, I would tend to agree with you. Hopefully, SolarWinds will consider your feature request and perhaps, allow us to specify two different sets of credentials for these script monitors.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to qle

Correct, it makes sense if our system credentials would work on the remote system (part of the same AD etc), but we're monitoring customer networks, and of course each customer has different authentication.

The thing is you can select <None> as the Credential and it still runs the script - so in effect we're not even choosing a Credential in that scenario.  That's why I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a 'remote' tick box or something that would (internally) just use <None>, leaving the normal Credential box to be passed to the script arguments etc.

Andy.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jeff.stewart

In what sense?  That seems completely irrelevant to the issue.

Andy.

• This would allow you to execute the script and specify the remote credential set to do so.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jeff.stewart

Execute using which APM Monitor?