24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 9:44 AM by SteveSW

Unable to push snmp

Hi,

I just started using this tool to see how it works. But unfotunately it is not working. Can some one help me to resolve the issue.

I'm getting below error ----- 10.201.1.81 #Installation failed[Unexpected error: Please review installation settings]

Looks like I'm doing some mistake , not sure where It is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Unable to push snmp

I see it says process started and after some time it says installation failed.

additional info - 

OS files are on my desktop C drive. The server I am trying to push have full admin acces on it.

What esle it need ?

Sorry for giving info in pieces,

Server is in workgroup and I know the local admin login credentials. OS files are on my desktop in a 386 folder and I have mapped in Settings section under Specify locations of OS install files. 

michalB

Hi,

from what I understand, you are trying to use WMI to install SNMP on a remote computer that is Windows XP/2003, the installation files are located on a share on a different computer, and you are using the admin account for that computer, and the computer is not in domain. Am I right?

If so, I am afraid this use case is not supported. What you are trying to do with the tool is that you log in on the remote computer as admin, run the installation, and the installation is using the local admin account to reach for the files on the share. This is called double-hop authentication and is by design disabled in the system.

A work around is to have the system installation files directly on the remote computer (usable when you use pre-imaged system installations), or using PSExec.

Please note the path in your Settings has to be valid and accessible from the remote machine on which you are trying to install the SNMP service. 

Also please note the tool was designed to work with domain admin's credentials in a domain, because it is supposed to work with multiple machines. It should be possible to install the SNMP on one computer that is not in domain, but you may fail to do this for multiple computers in a work group, unless you have the same admin names and passwords.

michalB

Hi,

from what I understand, you are trying to use WMI to install SNMP on a remote computer that is Windows XP/2003, the installation files are located on a share on a different computer, and you are using the admin account for that computer, and the computer is not in domain. Am I right?

If so, I am afraid this use case is not supported. What you are trying to do with the tool is that you log in on the remote computer as admin, run the installation, and the installation is using the local admin account to reach for the files on the share. This is called double-hop authentication and is by design disabled in the system.

A work around is to have the system installation files directly on the remote computer (usable when you use pre-imaged system installations), or using PSExec. You can get psexec from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553 and read more info about it at http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/PsExec-Nasty-Things-It-Can-Do.html.

Please note the path to the share with installation files has to be valid for the remote computer and has to be accessible from there.

Also please note the tool was designed to work with domain admin's credentials as the primary use case is to install the SNMP Service on multiple machines within a domain. It may work with one computer that is not in domain, but you may fail to enable the service on multiple computers, unless you have same local admin names and passwords.

Thanks Michal for your response.

Our's is a Multi Forest/Multi Domain environment. We are having around 2000 servers both Physical and Virutual. unfortunately most of the App Servers are not in domain and Most of those servers dont have system Installaiton files locally. Most of my servers are Windows/Linux/ESX. You know doing manually on all of these servers is really pain and time consuming. I thought this tool help us a lot in rolling out solarwinds monitoring quickly.

Please advise what is the best approach  to make this tool work.  Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Thanks

Ravi 

Btw we use a standard login credentials to login locally on all the servers. Can you elaborate how PS exec is going to help me in this scenario.

michalB

SNMP Enabler currently supports Windows systems only - Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, 2008, Vista and 7.

Windows XP and 2003 do not contain all the necessary files for the installation, therefore it needs to have access to a folder where the files are located (the I386 folder from the installation CD, but the best way to do this is just share the CD and point to it in the Settings).

Because of the double-hop prevention security "feature", you will have to use psexec. Psexec works fine because it actually installs its own service to run commands on the remote computer, and therefore it is not affected by the double-hop issue.

I am a bit concerned about the fact that the machines are not in one domain. This scenario has not been tested. But I think it might work fine if you create admin user accounts with same name and password on all the computers and use this as login credentials for SNMP Enabler.

You can also first try to run a single command on the remote machine using psexec from your machine. If it works, SNMP Enabler should work too. 

Thants fine as 70% boxes are Windows only. As I told you the servers that are in workgroup have same login credentials to login locally.

What should I do if a server is in workgroup and my desktop(where  from I'm using this tool) in one domain ?

How come that work group server get installation files shared on my desktop and another pointing to a location on network ?

I may be loosing some connections here. Please help.

ash.j.kent

I've also just tried using this tool, as we are in the process of rolling out APM and thought this would be a massive time saver when it came to enabling SNMP. 

Unfortunately I've not been able to get the tool to work either. The closest I've been able to get is that a service called SNMP is created on the target machine, however the service won't start and the SNMP component isn't listed as installed on the server. The tool itself reports that a time-out occurred.

I've tried multiple machines (both same domain and different domains), multiple accounts (domain administrator, local administrator and everything in between), both the psexec and wmi methods, and every combination of windows installation discs and folders I can possibly think of!

Has anyone had any success with this tool as it would be incredibly useful if I could just get it to work!

michalB

Ash, I am sorry that the tool does not work for you. Can you specify on what systems you are trying to enable the SNMP service? Are they all in one domain? Is the computer that is running the tool in the same domain? Do the machines have admin$ and C$ shares available? Are they IPv4 or IPv6?

You might also check the log for more information (you can even post it here or PM me). Set the Verbose logging level in Settings, reproduce the issue the safest way (using PSEXEC and domain admin's credentials), and look for the log in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\SNMPEnabler (or ProgramData\SolarWinds\SNMPEnabler).

Michal, Would it be possible to call me to work on this issue.

I can be reached at 202-724-5246

Thanks in Advance.

ash.j.kent

I'm currently running the tool on Server 2003 R2 SP2 std, and trying to run the tool against Server 2003 SP2 std. The machines are in the same domain and i'm using the domain administrator account. Both machines are IPv4, and both have admin$ and c$ shares available.

I have just tried running the tool again and will PM you the verbose log file.

ash.j.kent

Can't seem to send PMs! log file attached

michalB

Ash,

the log tells us that SNMP Enabler failed to start Remote Registry service on the machine 'machine1'. It seems like the Remote Registry service is not installed at all. Can you check?

Remote Registry service is a prerequisite for the SNMP Enabler. It has to be installed on the target machines, although it does not need to be running. SNMP Enabler starts it, performs the SNMP Service installation and configuration, and then stops it again.

However, if the Remote Registry service is not installed, the application will not be able to start it and therefore fails to install the SNMP Service. 

ash.j.kent

Michal,

thanks for the quick reply. I've just checked the remote registry service and I can confirm it is installed and works (I can make remote registry edits from where I am running the enabler tool). If I stop the remote registry service on the target machine I can see the tool start the service but the install still fails.

Is there anything else that could be causing the issue?

michalB

Next step to do is to check the installer log. SNMP Enabler launches sysocmgr, which is a system component responsible for installing the SNMP Service as feature. When the installation is being performed, you should be able to see the sysocmgr.exe process running for a while. If there is an error, the sysocmgr writes it to the log file setupapi.log located in your OS installation directory (c:\windows).

ash.j.kent

Michal,

the setupapi.log file gave me enough to go on to get the tool working! From looking at the setupapi.log I was making 2 mistakes

I was pointing the tool at the following directory for setup files - C:\Software\Windows\Windows 2003 R2 Std x86\I386 this was causing sysocmgr to look for files in C:\Software\Windows\Windows 2003 R2 Std x86\I386\i386. This folder didn't exist for 2 reasons adding the additional i386 on the end of the file path and the fact the folder only existed on the machine where the tool was running not the target machine.

I shared the folder (a copy of the windows disk) C:\Software\Windows\Windows 2003 R2 Std x86\ as \\machine0\2003_std_x86 giving everyone read only permissions and tried the tool again. This time everything worked fine as sysocmgr was looking for the files in \\machine0\2003_std_x86\i386 which existed and was accessible by the target machine. 

I've just tried a handful of machines to make sure it wasn't just a one off and all the machines succeeded.

Many thanks for your help in getting this sorted!

michalB

This is great. Thanks for sharing the information!

Michal,

I need your help. I was trying to test this tool by keeping both source and target in the same domain. But still getting error saying Installation failed.

I can see the status. Like blow.

SNMP enabling process started

10.1.143.156 – Service not found,Installation started

Then after that it says Installation failed.

Either we can do a Webex session or phone call , whatever  convenient for you.

SteveSW

raviampaty,

Send your logs to Michal and me. You can find setupapi.log located in your OS installation directory (c:\windows) and you can get the application log by setting the LoggingLevel in ou rsettings screen to Verbose and trying the process again. Logs can be found at        

<ALLUSERSPROFILE>\SolarWinds\PermissionsAnalyzer\PermissionsAnalyzer.log

--

Steve