9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 11:51 AM by byrona

UDT Beta now available!

mavturner

We have made a Beta available to a limited number of people. We will be expanding this number and we continue the Beta program. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this survey and I will provide the information you need as spots become available.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M8F8KNS

This Beta is slightly earlier than some of of other Beta products and there are some known issues as well as work that has not been complete yet. Here is a brief list of those items. If you discover another bug, or have a question, this is the place to ask!

Known issues and work that is not yet complete:

• No alerts or events on Port details page
      • The graph for ports used over time is just an image (it does not reflect real data yet)
      • Manage Ports link does not work yet
      • Most of the links on the settings page do not work yet
      • No built in alerts or reports

Beta builds are not for production environments and are not supported by our support organization. Install this in a test environment and let us know what you think. This product does not require NPM. In fact, you cannot install a Beta product in a production environment. If you are curious what the integration will look like, you can download and install an evaluation of NPM and install it on the same machine as UDT. 

• Re: UDT Beta now available!
          theknat

Its not mentioned above so I thought I would ask. Is the ability to see the status page of a tracked object not yet functiona? I click on the device's name and the URL changes to add #?NetObject=UW:3 onto the end of it but the page itself doesn't change.

mavturner

theknat,

You are correct, currently this does not go anywhere. For the 1.0 release, we are looking at taking you to the search results page and having this pre-filtered for the searched item. In the future, we will probably have a device page which include more device centric information.

What information would you expect when clicking this link?

Mav

theknat

What you have suggested is what I was expecting to see, which was the search page but pre-filled with whatever I was I trying to track.

If in the future the page was to be changed to a device specific summary page it would be good to have the history of where the device has been plugged into, but also if possible it would be good for the SNMP location string of the switch to be placed in the same table.

Along with the history of where it was plugged in, being able to have a snapshot of the sessions when it was plugged in would be good. By this I mean a table that gives dates and times of when it was first detected to the time it was removed, along with the total up time of the device.

mavturner

theknat,

Thanks for the feedback. There is a last seen column in the search results field. We are also looking at adding a first seen column here. On the port details page, you can see the time range that a device was connected to a port. In the future, we would like to make a similair page but from the device perspective instead of the port.

Overall, does everyone you see value in this product and do you think it is helping you?

Keep the great suggestions coming!

Mav

cpmaia

Mav,

I just installed UDT and I have a few questions:

- My IP Phones do not show up in device tracker. Both phones and switches are Cisco. Is this a bug or a feature?

- Right now I can only find devices that exist in the Device Watch List. Will it be possible in the future to search and find any device?

- We plan to introduce IPv6 in our network later this year and we'll probably be working with dual stack whenever possible and only with IPv4 when dual stack is not an option. Will UDT support IPv6? Will it be able to map the MAC address to both addresses?

Thanks,

Cristina

mavturner

cpmaia,

Good questions.

1. This should work. If you have a few minutes, I would like to work with you offline to see what the problem is. Definitely not a "feature" :-)

2. There is a global search on the upper right corner, have you tried this? We have received other feedback that this is not very discoverable.

3. Yes, the product will have limited IPv6 support. There will be some limitations since we reside on the Orion platform and you will not be able to add a node until Orion supports IPv6 nodes. We will not automatically map the MAC address to the IPv6 address for the first version, but this is a great feature request and I have logged it.

Thanks,

Mav

byrona

This is the first info I have seen on this product, is there some documentation or post some place indicating what this product is and/or does?

mavturner

Byron,

I did a small product blog post about this a while ago, User Feedback for New Products

In general, this product will help you find what port a computer is plugged in to (IP, MAC, or Hostname). We will provide current as well as historical information as well as capacity analysis. In the future, we will add support for user tracking based on information in AD and many other cool things. 

Mav

byrona

Byron,

I did a small product blog post about this a while ago, User Feedback for New Products

In general, this product will help you find what port a computer is plugged in to (IP, MAC, or Hostname). We will provide current as well as historical information as well as capacity analysis. In the future, we will add support for user tracking based on information in AD and many other cool things. 

Mav

Ah yes, I remember that now.  For some reason I didn't connect the two in my head.