This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Simple question regarding multiple backups

I am a very new user to this tool.  I have some switches configured to back up nightly as a test of the tool.  They seem to be working fine.  Every night the backups run, and the existing txt document gets overwritten.

Now, I would really like to take advantage of the Dated Configs folder and have it move the existing file to that folder and put a time/date stamp on it before creating the new backup document.  I have seen this alluded to in the documentation, but I cannot figure out how to make it happen.

Thanks!

Z

• Hi Z  - CatTools will datestamp and move the currently saved config on disk into the Dated configs folder; but only if there is a change detected. If there's no change, the old one isn't moved. 

--Christine

• Hi Z - our lead dev on CatTools just sent me a workaround in case you do want to save every day's config. There's a bit of a trade off though. 

He said....

It is possible to 'fudge' saving a new file every day with a unique time stamp, by setting the 'Current config' filename to include the %DateISO% filename variable; however you then lose the diff comparison feature because Cattools will be looking for an existing current config with the current date when the backup activity runs; whereas the current file will have yesterday's date (i.e. the date the file was created).

As Cattools fails to find a 'previous' config file; it simply reports every time the activity runs that the 'Config is new'.

--Christine