2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 8:00 AM by christineb

Simple question regarding multiple backups

I am a very new user to this tool.  I have some switches configured to back up nightly as a test of the tool.  They seem to be working fine.  Every night the backups run, and the existing txt document gets overwritten.

Now, I would really like to take advantage of the Dated Configs folder and have it move the existing file to that folder and put a time/date stamp on it before creating the new backup document.  I have seen this alluded to in the documentation, but I cannot figure out how to make it happen.

Thanks!

Z

• Re: Simple question regarding multiple backups
          christineb

Hi Z  - CatTools will datestamp and move the currently saved config on disk into the Dated configs folder; but only if there is a change detected. If there's no change, the old one isn't moved. 

--Christine

• Re: Simple question regarding multiple backups
            christineb

Hi Z - our lead dev on CatTools just sent me a workaround in case you do want to save every day's config. There's a bit of a trade off though. 

He said....

It is possible to 'fudge' saving a new file every day with a unique time stamp, by setting the 'Current config' filename to include the %DateISO% filename variable; however you then lose the diff comparison feature because Cattools will be looking for an existing current config with the current date when the backup activity runs; whereas the current file will have yesterday's date (i.e. the date the file was created).

As Cattools fails to find a 'previous' config file; it simply reports every time the activity runs that the 'Config is new'.

--Christine