This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What we are working on post IPAM 2.0

We always listening to what you are saying - see the updated list below for items we are working on for a future release of IPAM.

• User Delegation
    • Defining access roles per subnet, group, or supernet as well as combinations of those containers for specific users
  • Improved Importing
  • User Experience Tweaks
    • Support for drag&drop and autoscroll
  • DHCP management
    • Add new scope
    • Update IP address status (reservation) on DHCP server via IPAM
  • DNS monitoring
  • Other bug fixes and improvements

More to come as we continue our planning and development!

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release.  We are working on a number of other smaller features in parallel.   If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

• Hi there,
    sounds great - I'm actually looking for that user delegation - I really dont like giving out the entire IP database to people just so they can update a few static ips for their own office.
    I think a few other people have also mentioned some kind of check of DNS vs hostname (from both IPAM and SNMP) - I'd love that - I sometimes find machines that have been renamed but their DNS records dont match or the IPAM data is different from the real snmp polled hostname.
    I guess the one thing I'd *really* love to see is IP address to switch port mapping!
    I use NPM to monitor all my switch ports already and IPAM scans the network - can't we simply get something to stitch the data all together so that when I look at a switch port I know whats connected to it from the IPAM data (and vice versa)?  

Thanks,
    Sean

• Suggestion:  IPAM periodically checks the routing table of a designated router and adds and subnets that it doesn't have.  Ensuring no subnets are not monitored.

One issue we have is that we need the IPAM tool to watch the network for any new subnets.  Design teams tend to forget ALOT and we need somthing automated.

Thanks!!!!!

• I've talked to a few people who are really interested in automatic discovery of subnets. This is definitely an interesting request and something we are looking in to, but will probably not make the next release. Stay tuned for more.

• I'd like to see more robust reporting and utilization analysis... scope usage charts over time like NPM has for interfaces.

• Better importing is a must so its good to see it on the list.  That is so bad right now its almost not worth using when you have 1000+ subnets.

• Subnet hanging during autoscan, the problem is still there in IPAM 2.0

regards

Saleh Abubakar
  • For me, automated subnet scanning and improved importing are inter-related.
    As mentioned, when importing 1000's of subnets, there is currently no way to import custom properties associated with each subnet.

If automated scanning makes it's way into this product, then there must be a tool that can easily allow you to import or assign custom properties to the discovered subnets. Pointing this tool to a router and importing all discovered subnets in the routing table is the easy part, but organizing and labeling all these subnets is the real challenge.We currently have 3000+ subnets in our routing tables.
    Importing this many subnets into a flat subnet/supernet/group means many days of grouping and organizing subnets into the IPAM tree.

A tool like the Orion Custom Property Editor would make short work of something like this in IPAM. With it's filtering ability, assigning common custom properties like Region, City or Building to multiple subnets based on an IP range or supernet would be childs play. CPE also has an excellent import and export capability that could be used for migrating from an existing IPAM toolset (spreadsheets & DBs) to Orion's IPAM, and allow for all custom properties to be imported in one fell swoop.

Allowing for direct access to the IPAM DB with an interface like Orion's CPE would make this IPAM tool so much more powerful.

• Saleh, please open a ticket with support.

• Sounds good so long as it goes down into a specific subnet, so sub-subnet address administration.

• I can not hide custom property by view/subnet/supernet/group. There are some custom fields that I do not want to see on other groups/subnet/supernets etc. Therefore custom property field is pretty useless since it show extra/unnecessary information for the subnet.

I should create a custom property field then I want to choose that custom property to show on specific subnets/supernets/groups etc. I think it is very easy to do(fix) it! Please include this request for your next release.

Thanks.