20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 2:01 AM by jcorcoran

SQL Licensing

mitchellt

We recently purchases the Solarwinds NPM and Netflow Traffic Analyzer software.  We are now in the process of ordering a license for MS SQL 2008 Standard.  My question is do we need mulitple CALs being that there are two different programs that will be writing to the database?  Or would be need a single CAL license being that it is coming from the same server? 

• Re: SQL Licensing
          bshopp

I assume you mean device CAL?  Do you have any additional pollers?

mitchellt

We do not have any other pollers.  The sql server software will be used striclty for the Solarwinds network monitor and traffic Analyzer.  No other devices or software will be accessing it.

mitchellt

We will buy the License for SQL 2008 standard.  Just needing to know if we also need to buy additional user/device CALs to be compliant with microsoft.

mitchellt

After researching on Microsoft's website.  It looks like we just need the License and 1 CAL being that there will only be one device using the SQL software. 

bshopp

From my understanding of the licensing, for device call if you had multiple pollers you would need one for each poller.  However, I am not a MSFT rep so I recommend double checking that.

rsprim

I have done extensive research into this and according to Microsoft, you need a CAL for every user or server that accesses the Orion Server because these users create indvidual connections to the database and every connection requires a CAL.  Since we have the NetPerfmon, EOC and ConfigurationMgmt databases on one server, we had to include all of the users into the calculation. 

Based on my calculations it will be cheaper for us to license our 2 processor servers on a per proc basis than by CAL.   170 CALs is about the equivalent of a per processor license with 2 processors.  Once you go over 170 users accessing any of the databases on that server you should go with a per proc license.  My calculations also include Annual maintenance fees.  The annual maintenance of CAL licenses is where Microsoft really sticks it to you.  For 170 CALs, your annual maintenance will cost around $36,998.  For a 2 proc Annual Maintenance you'll pay around $13,748.

Robert 

mitchellt

We will have the NPM and Netflow Traffic Anaylzer as the only thing using the database.  Both of those reside on the same server.  Not sure how Microsoft distinguishes between a device and a user in their CAL calculations.  Does the NPM and Netflow software create mulitple databases that would be consider a user?  Is there anyway to get the exact number?  I will be calling Microsofts licensing department today to see what they have to say.  Just want to be compliant.

Bolt00

I find it hard to believe that SolarWinds doesn't know the licensing requirments for SQL.   Especailly when you recommend running SQL on a seperate server.  No one at SolarWinds has had any discussion with Microsoft on the subject?   

mezdem

You will need a Device CAL and you will definatley need a user CAL for everyone you wish to access the web console or report. This is called a Server/CAL license.

For instance if you have 10 staff that access Orion web console, and have 2 staff in Service Desk who access the reports. You will need 12 User CALS.

We use 'Per Processor License' for our sql instance in a cluster, and so we can have unlimited users access any database on this server. Caveat is that you need a license per processor, so can be costly.

juanmapalad

hi mit,

i just installed the evaluation of npm in a server.. i dont have a separate sql server as my database.. now i will be installing the license for my npm evaluation .. i would like to ask if im on the right track? or do i need to have a separate sql db ?

in my current setup..i dont have an sql license, would that be ok?

here are what i see in my license volume:

Core-2013.1-HotFix1

Network-Atlas-Background-Maps

NPM-v10.5.0-Hotfix1

OrionToEOCMapConverter-v1.3

SolarWinds-LogForwarder-v1.1.19

SolarWinds-NPM-v10.5.0

SolarWinds-Orion-Migration-Utility-v1.0

System-Center-Management-Pack-v2.1.0

UnmanageUtility

thanks

njoylif

it will really depend on the size of your implementation as to whether you'd want to run SQL separately.  it is recommended, but if small implementation, don't have to.

the SQL Express allows up to 10G DB.  Again, if your implementation is small, this will probably not be an issue for you and you can continue to run the free version, though there are probably some limitations to it for memory, etc., you should research.

If your implementation allows for free SQL and you wanted to offload to another server, you can certainly do that, you just need to run the config wizard after migrating and select update Database and point it to your new DB server.

juanmapalad

thanks njoylif.. i would like toa ask something:i see this one in the manual but i dont get what it means " If the devices on your network do not require community strings other than the default strings public and private provided by Orion NPM, click Next on the SNMP Credentials view." can you pls explain to me what is community string? public cand private strings?

thanks

njoylif

when using snmp, for simple security, we use community strings for version 1 and 2c.  typically, you/your org would change those strings to something custom.  Again, this is a basic level of security so that if anyone were able to query your devices, they'd have to know your custom community string to access the information.

dudzinkj

Detail

SolarWinds Orion Platform products require a licensed Microsoft SQL Server database. Microsoft licenses SQL Server through Client Access Licensing (CAL) or per core. With respect to SolarWinds Orion Platform, you may choose from three licensing options:

1. License per core.
                                    2. License by user CAL.
                                      Example: You have a five-person IT team who will be using Orion NPM. This scenario requires 5 user CALs.
                                    3. License by device CAL.
                                      Example: SolarWinds Orion NPM and NTA are installed on the same server and you also have one additional poller somewhere else. This scenario requires two device CALs: one for the NPM polling engine and another for the additional polling engine.
                                    • ipMonitor
                                    • Kiwi Syslog
                                    • Kiwi CatTools
                                    • Network Topology Manager
                                    • Log & Event Manager
                                    • Storage Manager
                                    • Toolset (Engineer's or Standard)
                                    • Firewall Security Manager
                                      gregrybak

I get the requirement for the Device CAL (NPM + each additional polling engine), but the users access the apps running on the NPM server via Web console and the NPM uses single user account to access and modify Solarwinds DB. Why would we need separate accounts for each user accessing the NPM server?