3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 3:00 PM by sean.martinez

Chart gaps

contracer

Hi,

I´m detecting chart gaps in my NPM environment:

poller1 - 6027 elements

poller2 - 3802 elements

network elements polling time - 300 sec.

syslog record time - 30 days

Need I install a new poller ?

• Re: Chart gaps
          the_toilet

mate you want to check your database server,  check for CPU, RAM, disk usage, and then check physical read queues and physical write queues on ALL LUNS, especially the logs LUN...

i don't think you need a second poller yet, unless you have a load of universal pollers or APM, as i am not sure if they are included int he element count...

I so wish solarwinds would get with it, and invent a real polling capacity monitor for pollers...  i would suggest something like

number of SNMp Gets in a minute, collected over 1-6 hours... that should give you a rolling capapcity number...

it shoudl take into account ALL types of polling...

• Re: Chart gaps
            sean.martinez

Chart Gaps usually occur when there is a SQL Performance issue. Starting with Orion 10.1, the Node and Volume Statistics will Queue up and wait for time to write into the Database.

If you are on Orion 10.1 and above, there is a simple method to see if there is a SQL Performance issue.

Server 2008:
                1. Open up Server Manager
                2. In the Server Manager expand out Features> Message Queuing> Private Messages
            Server 2003:
                1. From the desktop right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.
                2. Expand Services and Applications > Message Queuing > Private Queues

The Solarwinds/Collector.Processingqueue Counter should always be at 0. It can spike up, but it should come back down over time. If the Number increments up and stays above 0, there is a SQL Performance or Network Related issue.

Here is documentation for checking SQL Performance.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/Orionperformance.pdf

This includes:

• A short discussion of Orion      and SQL
            • Measuring and monitoring SQL
            • Optimizing  SQL for the      Orion environment
              • RAID choices RAMDisk, SSD,       drive types, memory management
            • Orion server performance
            • Additional resources