2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 5:08 PM by rgward

Some node names remain as the IP address

patriot

I have a few nodes that persist in maintaining the IP address as the node name, while most resolve to the host name. These are SNMP nodes, some have a reverse DNS name, some do not. i even have cases where there are two Cisco 2811 devices, one with the hostname, one with the IP address.

What possible causes of this am I missing? How can I get these devices to resolve the hostname in Orion NPM?

• Re: Some node names remain as the IP address
          sean.martinez

If you added the Node via the IP Address it will stay as the IP Address. To resolve this, you can run the following SQL Query to update the DNS information to the NodeName for All Devices if the DNS information ids Available, otherwise it will stay the same.

update Nodes set Caption=dns where DNS IS NOT NULL

You will need to run the above in SQL Studio Manager or in our Database Manager

For SQL Studio Manager:

1. Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server >      SQL Server Management Studio
          2. Using sa credentials, log in      to your SQL Server\Instance
          1. If you have forgotten your SQL Server\Instance see the      Note at the Bottom
          1. Click plus sign in the database, and right click      NetPerfMon, and click New Query, paste the query and apply execute, it      will let you know by say (x rows affected)

For our Database Manager:

1. Start> Programs> Solarwinds Orion> Advanced      Features> Database Manager
          2. Click New Server
          3. Enter in your SQL      Server\Instance and the Account information
          4. If you have forgotten your      SQL Server\Instance see the Note at the Bottom
          5. Expand out the NetPerfMon      Database.
          6. Right Click on any Table and      select Query Table
          7. Clear out the “Select Top      1000 * from (Table)” and enter in the Query information and select Refresh