This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

CatTools Crash

Hi ,

Having been running perfectly for a while my installation on CatTools 3.4 has start crashing regularly. Restarting the service results in another crash immediately. Restarting the PC usually result in about a day before it falls over again.

The errors are alway the same and are as follows:

2011-02-15 19:35:07 3-Info 0 Kiwi CatTools Service All threads have finished. Now processing results...
2011-02-15 19:35:07 4-Debug 0 Kiwi CatTools Service Writing sortable HTML report to: C:\Program Files\CatTools3\Reports\Device.ConnectivityTest.Ping.htm
2011-02-15 19:35:11 2-Warning 0 Kiwi CatTools Service CatDBActivityLogSet error #-2147217887:Invalid argument.
2011-02-15 19:35:11 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service *** INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR - Please contact support via http://www.kiwisyslog.com/support ***
2011-02-15 19:35:11 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service Service Version 3.4.0 | Error Number: 3219 | Description: Operation is not allowed in this context. | Module Name: DBCatMain.bas | Procedure Name: CatDBActivityLogSet | Line Number: 460 | Date and time: 15/02/2011 19:35:11

Any thoughts would be appriciated

Nigel

• Hi Nigel,

What is the current size of your CatTools database file?

Regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

The database (KiwiDB-CatTools.kdb) is currently 2.097Gb

Kind regards

Nigel

• Hi Nigel,

That is your problem.  CatTools uses an jet database engine which has a max size limit of 2GB.

Try using the 'Squeeze current database' option from the FILE > DATABASE menu to reduce the size.
    See: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/mnu_filedbsqueezecurrent.htm for more information.

You need to stop the Timer before this menu item is made available as it requires exclusive access on the database to run the squeeze.

Regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

I have tried what you suggested but it doesn't seem to work.

The problem seems to be that it can't backup the database prior to the sqeeze.

The error from the info log is as follows

2011-02-22 08:57:53    2-Warning    0    Kiwi CatTools Manager    Unable to backup database: (C:\Program Files\CatTools3\KiwiDB-CatTools.kdb).

Is there something else I can try?

Please let me know

Regards

Nigel

• Nigel,

In CatTools versions prior to 3.3.15, the ActivityLog table in the database was holding ALL historic data (that is everything from when you first installed CatTools).

In 3.3.15 we added the daily purge routine (which runs at the end of the first activity which is ran after midnight), which by default will delete all records from the ActivityLog older than 30 days.

This should (followed by a manual database squeeze) compact the size of the database down quite dramatically.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you do not even have enough space in your database to perform the smallest of activities in order to trigger the purge; therefore the database cannot be reduced in size and as such the backup of the existing database as part of the squeeze process cannot occur.

How did the you database get so large you may ask?

Well, for your database to have grown so large, it would suggest that either:

1. maybe you were originally running a version of Cattools prior to 3.3.15 which allowed the ActivityLog database table to grow large, and no manual database squeeze has been performed since upgrading?
    2. you have a considerable number of activities running very frequently, which is resulting in filling up the ActivityLog quite quickly (or you are making or have made a lot of additions/deletes to the records in the database)?

Whichever it may be, you now need to compact your database... somehow.

If you have MSAccess installed (and assuming you have a default install on an x86 Windows O/S), you could try running the command line (Use: START button > RUN dialog):

msaccess "C:\Program Files\CatTools3\KiwiDB-CatTools.kdb"/compact

You may need to change the filename and/or path in the above to suit your installation.

If this doesn't work, then you may want to look at the following Microsoft KB article to download the Jetcomp.exe utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295334

Please as a safeguard, take a backup copy of the file before attempting to run the compare at a command line.

You will also have to ensure that the CatTools Manager UI and CatTools Service are not running.

If you cannot run either of these tools, then you will need to delete data manually from the CatTools database ActivityLog table first.  It may be best you send a zipped copy in to me (offline) so I can do this for you.  I will also then compact the database file for you too.

If you'd like me to do this, then let me know and I'll send you an offline email to respond to.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Given that I am not sure on the upgrade history of the current installation A think I will backup the devices and tasks and uninstall the old version and install the current free version (3.6).

That way I can be sure that the purging routine is in place going forward

Thanks for all your help . The support that you guys provide is absolutely first class !

Kind Regards

Nigel