4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 6:36 AM by Ryuichi Kondo

Question of Hot Standby Engine

Ryuichi Kondo

Our customer want to know the following Hot Standby Engine issue. Now, they tried to write the operational documentaion for their environment(NPM v10.0) and they need some informaion for it.

1. Hot standby Engine watch the Orion polling engine? or Orion database? And, how long watch interval?

2. If the Hot Standby Engine was catched failure event of Orion NPM server, when it start monitoring, data collection instead of failure server? immediately happened server failure? or wait for several interval time? or try to access to NPM server many times?

3. If the failure Orion NPM server was recovered, when it start monitoring, data collection instead of Hot Standby Engine?  it takes a several times? customer want to know the timing of switch the Hot Standby Engine and failure NPM server.

If anyone have many information about these issues, please advice us.

Regards,

Ryuichi-

• Re: Question of Hot Standby Engine
          Malik Haider

First i would like you to inform the Hot Standby is now upgraded to Fail Over in latest version NPM 10.1.1 . I would suggest you to upgrade your environment  to latest Orion NPM Version in order to avoid further time consumption . Fail Over is completely different then the HSB.   so you can start working on Fail Over rather then waisting your time for Hot Standby as this Hot Standby will be out of support soon .   

Documents and Admin guides are here. 

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/documentation.aspx

However if you dont want to upgrade on this stage here are the answers. 

1. Hot standby Engine watch the Orion polling engine? or Orion database? And, how long watch interval?

A- Yes you can configure time in HotStandby to heart beat time interval . HSB will watch the engine entery in SQL Database (Engine Table) Last Sync Time. If it will not see the sync entery in the table it will change itself to active mode.  HSB heartbeat  can be configured every after 3 or 5 or whatever you would like to not less then 1 min. 

You can configure Alert if the primary fails and hotStandby will send you an alert as its starts polling. 

2. If the Hot Standby Engine was catched failure event of Orion NPM server, when it start monitoring, data collection instead of failure server? immediately happened server failure? or wait for several interval time? or try to access to NPM server many times?

A- Once the Hot Standby will send heart beat to primary server and if the NetPerfmon service is down  it will immediately  own polling . 

3. If the failure Orion NPM server was recovered, when it start monitoring, data collection instead of Hot Standby Engine?  it takes a several times? customer want to know the timing of switch the Hot Standby Engine and failure NPM server.

A-  Primary server will start immediately baseline and HSB will returned to standby mode. this process could take 2 to 5 min depending on the amount of  nodes . 
          Let me know if this helps, or if you require any further information.
          GoldTipu 
            bshopp

It watches the last updated field for the standard poller in the database and that is it.  No service or modules.

If the table has not been updated in a period of time, the elements being monitored on that poller get moved to another poller

3. If the failure Orion NPM server was recovered, when it start monitoring, data collection instead of Hot Standby Engine?  it takes a several times? customer want to know the timing of switch the Hot Standby Engine and failure NPM server.

User needs to move the elements for monitoring back themselves

It sounds like what you really need is the new Failover Engine which replaces the Hot Standby Engine, which we EOL'd with the NPM 10.1 release.  If you have active maintenance on the hot standby engine, we put a transition plan together for customers to move to this new failover engine.  If you did not receive this let me know and we can discuss offline. 

Ryuichi Kondo

Hi GoldTipu, bashopp,

Tnank you for your kindly response. I know that the HSB will be out of support soon and we should be recommed our cusotmer to upgrade to Fail Over environment But, my custtomer's budget was very limited. So, they hope to use this Hot Standby fanction.

Now, I want to know the detail of behavior for my quesation 3. On the documentation of  Orion Administrator Guide was described about Hot Standby fanction of Page 289-294. Page 293 was described about parameter of Failover timing. I want to know the detail of 3rd parameter. Dose this parameter mean the interval time of return to polling engine from hotstandby engine?  Now, my customer takes too many times(about 40 min over) of this behavior.

Regards,

Ryuichi-

Ryuichi Kondo

Regarding of Heart beat time interval, now, i try to set this parameter but i could not find on Hot-Standby Tab of Monitor Polling Engines. Hot-Standby Tab has three config parameter. i think the first parameter is delay time between the stopping of the NPM server and the starting of Hot-Standby server. It is not Heart beat time interval.

I want to know how to change the Heart beat time interval. if you have this information, please advice us.

Regards,

Ryuichi