12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 8:47 PM by MrSampsonite

Disk Space Percent Available

MrSampsonite

In the picture below I show a report I've created and the default report shown for node information. Basically I created mine because I wanted the one shown to show more calculations on disk stats, other than just space used and size. I'm happy with my report except I wish there were a visual indicator of disk space left percentage like the default report has. So my two options/questions are:

1. Can we insert that visual graph into our reports?

2. Can the default report they use have columns added to it?

Thanks.

• Re: Disk Space Percent Available
            MrSampsonite

Hi Sorry, I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm talking about getting those green/yellow/red bars into the report that I display in an Orion View. Though getting them into a pdf or email report would be great, that's not really what I'm asking for. I'm also not trying to take the canned report SW provides (the bottom of the two above). I'm trying to take just the colored bars into my custom report.

I've adjusted Microsoft paint to fudge what it would look like in my custom report.

Questionario

yea, I've made that feature request as well to add bars, formatting, etc. to reports so you can make your custom reports look exactly like the ones orion provides...

if they would do that, graphs and fix the issue of advanced sql reports not being able to be filtered in the resource/view settings would make this perfect... that way there would be no limits to customization of the WebUI

EDIT: forgot to add, you currently cannot do this... all you can do is have a colored ball (up/warning/down) next to the drive to indicate the status, the bar you cannot add though!

bshopp

Why not deliver this page/resource as a report.  You can send as HTML or with 10.1 send as PDF

MrSampsonite

There are times/places for reports, yes. I don't disagree. However, I live in ORION. Not in emailed reports. I need realtime data to support our infrastructure. I find the things like bars and charts to be very helpful as I am a visual person. The ability to put those things in reports would be great for snapshots. But it would be even better to build reports to have all the info we need in all visual methods. I'm used to many tools out there that use graphs and bars and pictures to display current states and what I'm asking is that somehow they take the pieces they've put into their pre-built reports into resources that we can use. They do this already with graphs. We choose the range and period, etc and they can show us a graph. While it's not my favorite type of graph, it works. I'm simply asking that they expose that piece to reports. Many Upper executives are visual too. You show them a spreadsheet of data and ask if they can tell when the issue occured within 2 seconds of glancing and they can't tell you when. But show them a 24 hour period and see the big gap in the data or spike at 6pm and they can say "wow right before the server crashed the disk stats tanked." And in small businesses like ours, the CEO, CTO, and myself all look at these things in real time because we're that involved (we're an IT company where performance is critical).

Questionario

Hi MrSampsonite,

I think what Brandon was saying is that you could emaily a page of orion (where you live and feel comfortable) basically as a time-freezed pdf or html, making this similar to a report.

I agree with Brandon, I usually just email certain websites to be able to include graphs and such...

Our problem here is though that the orion resources do not always fit our needs (not only for the reports but also for daily use/views) and you could improve the report writer in order to create highly customized resources.

MrSampsonite

Right, but pages have tons of data/reports on them. Mine are clustered with information that is helpful. But for the storage team to just get a report on space, it's a bit silly to email them a snapshot of a whole webpage. And then if you do the report size is small as a percentage of the whole page. And if the storage team needs another report, do I send them the whole page again? I'm not saying there's no way to show a pretty bar. I'm just suggesting if the bar is available to the prebuilt resources, it would be great to make it available to the custom reports. I feel like the rabbit chasing the carrot dangling in front of me I see it and want it but, can't have it :)

Thanks for joining in though. I appreciate it.

Questionario

I admit, if there are a whole lot of reports that need to be sent, it is cumbersome to create a view for each report (we create views and name them "Report View - reportname") and send those views as pdf... but it works... it could be moved to the report writer which (as we noted several times) should be enhanced in functionality so it will not just be a report writer but a resource creator even.

netlogix

you could do the report on a single resource of a page.

On the page with the resource you want to send, click on the title of that box, like my summary page has "Event Summary", when I click on that, I get a page https://orion/Orion/DetachResource.aspx?ResourceID=3&NetObject= this page only has that one resource and I could have the report scheduler PDF that and email it.

Less cluttered, but still only a work around for what you want.

MrSampsonite

Thanks for the suggestion, but that assumes there's only one resource we want. I'm not so much looking for that as I am looking for a way to include visual distinguishing bars/graphs into custom resources. In your example I'd only be able to print my report with data (no visual distinction) or I could print SW report with visual distinctions but it'd be missing important data (like the examples at the top show).

But I'll store away your tip because other reports could use that. Thanks