This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Error message building Advanced Alert using a Group as a condition

Since the release of Orion v.10, we have all been excited around here that you guys have built into Solarwinds the ability to use groups.

We are in the process of building some Advanced Alerts using some groups we have created.

I keep getting an error that I do not think I should be receiving.  Effectively the message tells me that "Please specify a complete Trigger Condition.  Field not specified or Invalid." 

Here is a snap shot of the error.  You can see how I am building the Alert.  I am not sure what I am doing here that may be incorrect....

• Since you've set the Type of Property to Monitor to Group, I don't think Interface Name and Interface Status are valid in the trigger conditions. They'll only be valid if the Type of Property to Monitor is set to Interface, in which case, Group Name will no longer be valid in a trigger condition.

In your case, you probably want to remove the Interface Name condition (since your designated interfaces should already be part of the group) and change Interface Status to Group Status.

• Not trying to be rude, but that is lame and does not accomplish what KMNRuser wants.  I have the same problem.

Let's say I have a few groups setup for various reasons and I want to send a trigger message to a different person for each group when a node goes down, AND I want the message to tell me which node in the group is down, what it's IP address is, and who the SNMP contact is for that device.  Basically I want to have multiple node down alerts filtered by group name.

I can't figure out how to do this at all, since it requires multiple monitoring property types.

• I don't disagree with you but unfortunately, this is how it is currently. SolarWinds obviously needs to develop the concept of group alerts further.

• Is there still no fix for this? I'm having the exact same issue, and I need to find a way of being able to test for different properties. The youtube video shows this is possible, how come it doesn't actually work in production?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXHPF4W82Q

• I'm running into the same thing so chalk up another vote for getting this fixed please.

• This isn't anything that has to be fixed as far as a bug goes... This is the way the Logic is built into using the Advanced Alerts and is something that has been known for quite awhile.  Pleas look up the feature request on this and vote if you want it changed.

This isn't a bug, but how the alerting logic is built.

If you add that interface to the group and then you should be able to alert upon it since it will actually reside in that group, but since you are trying to alert upon an interface for a node that is inside of a group the logic doesn't know where to look for those triggers.

It's expecting you to use group member triggers.

• So if I understand this correctly, because the property I would want to alert on is two levels down from Group (Node->monitorproperty), the Advanced Alert logic doesn't support it?

If that is the case, then let me ask, is there a way to set up the logic so that I can alert on a node property (application status) for a specified group?  If it makes it easier, concretely what I'm trying to accomplish here is sending alerts for a SQL application template to a DBA group mailbox, but specifically just for servers in a group I have set up for test servers.