8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 12:33 AM by Steve Welsh

Crash In Cattools

DavidRickard

Hi I was running 3.5.0 as a service and I found the following:

2011-02-04 09:06:23 3-Info 0 CatTools Service Stopping scheduling timer
      2011-02-04 09:06:23 3-Info 0 CatTools Service Starting scheduler
      2011-02-04 09:06:23 4-Debug 0 CatTools Service Loading activity schedule times from database.
      2011-02-04 09:06:23 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service *** INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR - Please contact support via http://www.kiwisyslog.com/support ***
      2011-02-04 09:06:23 1-Error 0 Kiwi CatTools Service Service Version 3.5.0 | Error Number: 10 | Description: This array is fixed or temporarily locked | Module Name: DBCatMain.bas | Procedure Name: CatDBScheduleTimesLoad | Line Number: 120 | Date and time: 2/4/2011 9:06:23 AM
      2011-02-04 09:06:36 1-Error 0 CatTools Manager The Service is not running.

It was all running normally up to that point.  I stopped the service to look at a report (to check regarding my comment regarding the html reports from config uploads) and I unchecked a couple of spurious boxes in one report (I had accidentally ticked the "override email..>" boxes but hadn't specified the email address, so I unchecked these)  THen I restarted it and this hapopened.

I am just upgrading to 3.6.0 anyway and it has restarted OK after the upgrade so I'll let you know if it happens again, otherwise assume it was a one-off.

David

• Re: Crash In Cattools
          Steve Welsh

Hi David,

When you say you stopped the service, do you mean you hit the STOP button in the CatTools Manager UI (in the Activities pane) to stop the CatTools scehduler timer; or did you stop the actual CatTools service (via the Windows Services Manager?) 

Kind regards,

Steve

DavidRickard

Sorry Steve, I should have been clearer.  I pressed the "Stop Timer" button in the manager program.

Steve Welsh

Thanks for the confirmation David.  I just wanted to check that you weren't stopping the CatTools service itself, which will cause errors to occur. (For others following this thread, I'd like to state that the CatTools service should never be stopped manually unless there is a real good reason to do so).

The error you received relates to resizing of an array which relates to the scheduled activities.  I can't recall seeing this type of error in the past occur, so I'd chalk it up as a one off.

After upgrading to 3.6.0 if the same issue occurs, please raise a support ticket with SolarWinds support so we can get some diagnostics files from you.

Regards,

Steve

DavidRickard

OK thanks I'm happy with that.

Cheers

HI David--

Could you also please post back with the support case # and any information that support gives you.

Many thanks,

M

rohitsood

HI Steve

I have a same kind of issue . I have posted my query here and looking forward for a quick reply. When ever i try to press Stop button to stop the services, i am not able to do so, it shows busy.

Could you pls help me suggest how i can open a ticket with the support team as the issue is very critical as we are not able to take Configuration backup of any of our devices we have added on Kiwicattools.

rohitsood--

Are you on active product maintenance? If so, click here to open a support ticket. 

Please post back here with your support case number and with any resolution you get from support.

Thx,

M

Steve Welsh

rohitsood--

The STOP button in the Activities pane of the CatTools UI does not stop the CatTools service (CatTools_Services.exe).  The STOP button simply terminates the currently running activity.

If the STOP button is not responding (and note that there may be a short delay until it reaches a 'check for STOP button push' within the activity code), then it may suggest that the CatTools activity currently being run has somehow gone into a loop.

You can kill the activity by terminating the CatTools_Client.exe from within the Windows Task Manager (but I'm only recommending this as a last resort if your activity has been running for a long time).

The CatTools_Client.exe should then restart itself with the next activity run.

This should at least allow you to then start your back-ups again; however we will need to look into the problem in more details (i.e. view your infolog.txt file when this issue occurred), so please raise a support ticket as suggested by Marie.

Regards,

Steve