This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Device.Backup.Running Config not comparing files

I have been running CatTools 3.4 Free on an XP machine for some time and found it brilliant.

I've recently replaced this machine with a Win 7 x64 machine and installed CatTools 3.6 Free.  Everything is working correctly except for the compare running configs which tells me that there is no change even when there is.  This is occurring for several Cisco and Juniper models and they worked fine under 3.4 (which unfortunately I don't have anymore).

I dont' know if it's a cause or a result but the Dated Configs folder remains empty and does not have any history of the changed configs either.  The version of the running config in the Config directory is always correct (ie it updates correctly when the activity runs) it's just the comparison and Dated Config that fails (or never occurs).

Please help, this is exactly what I used CatTools for.  I've tried a fresh install and created new activities to no avail.

Thanks,
J

• I seem to have resolved my problem, although I can't quite explain why.

I'd already tried reinstalling, starting a new database etc, however I hadn't tried manually configuring a new device (I'd been importing from an exported device list).  Having setup a new device I successfully compared it to it's old config.  I then ran my other activity (unchanged) and now it's successfully comparing configs too.

Weird, but it works and I'm happy.

• Stranger and stranger.  After deleting the new device the original activity went back to failing to compare configs.  I guess there's something wrong with the imported devices that is somehow resolved when there's a manually created one.

For now I guess I'll just have to re-create all my devices instead of importing them.

• Hi jfitzell,

Was the failing to compare configs an intermittent issue or was it something which was occurring with every backup activity run?

Kind regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

It was occurring with every run of the backup activity.  Creating a new device manually resolved the issue, not just for the newly created device but also for the "original device" that still existed (ie two separate names for the same physical network object).  My memory is it even resolved the issue for unrelated devices that were of the same device type (ie all Cisco ASA's for example) but unfortunately I've now set them all up from scratch and can't confirm.

It should be easy to replicate:

• Fresh install of CatTools 3.6 (trial in my case, planning to revert to free)
    • Import backup (or device list) of existing config (in my case, from CatTools 3.4 free)
    • Devices appear correct, activities appear correct... but that specific activity does not compare backups.

Cheers,
    James

• Hi James,

Thanks for the extra info regarding this issue.  It does sound very strange that adding a new device manually should fix the problem for all the other devices using the same device type.

I'm glad you got it working... although adding all devices again manually must have been a pain!

I don't suppose you could send me a copy of your device and activity import files, so I can try replicate the problem in our lab?  Let me know and I'll send you an off-line message (as I guess you wouldn't want your device details on a public forum!)

Regards,

Steve

• I am having a similar issue.  My version (3.6.0) is running on Windows 2008 R2.   This is a fresh install.  When I manually run the device.backup.running conifig activity, the script correctly processes any change - email is sent, and a Dated Configs entry is written.  However, when I let the timer run the job and there is a change to be processed, InfoLog reports No Change and overwrites the current config (e.g. Config.Current.Running.device.txt) and nothing is written to Dated Configs.

• Hi craigcraig,

Unfortately I am still having the problem too, I've just given up on scheduler and need to run it manually every time I want a comparison of my configs (which I agree defeats the purpose, but I haven't had time to investigate further).

Spartacus, the problem seems intermittent but is broken more often than not (like I get an email only once every month or so, despite changes in between).  Unfortunately I'm not able to send you a copy of my device files or my activity, however they are standard Cisco ASA's connected via SSH running the default backup and compare activity.

Cheers,
    J

• Hi jfitzell,

Can you confirm which Windows O/S are you running CatTools on please?

Thanks,

Steve.

• Hi Spartacus,

Windows 7 x64 (Enterprise).

Cheers,
    J

• What I've done is create an activity so that it creates a new file every time.  Under the options tab for the activity, I modified the "current config file" value to:  

E:\Program Files (x86)\CatTools3\Configs\DailyBackup\Config.Current.Running.%BaseFile%.%DateISO%-%TimeHHMM%.txt

I have it run once per day via the timer (set to run at 4am).  That seems to work - every day it runs; I get a report stating all the configs are new.  So the timer works, and the comparison engine is being called.  Or so it would seem.

To keep that directory from growing too large, I could write a vb script that cleans up based on file date.  It would be a decent solution for now, although the dated configs would be the holy grail...  :-)