This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to properly monitor VMware virtual machines, and virtual hosts, running on HP Blades, in an HP c7000 enclosure in Orion NPM.

That was a mouth full!

I am new to Orion, fairly new to VMware and a so-so with HP blades/enclosures.

My goal; using Orion, I want to monitor VMware hosts and the virtual machines running on them.

It is my understanding that I will use SNMP for all of this.

I now know how to install HP's Management Agents for VMware ESX on a blade running ESX 4.1.  After installing these agents, not only was I able to discover the ESX server, running on the HP blade, in Orion, I was able to discover the blade server in HP System Insight Manager.  Two birds, one stone deal.

Now I see the ESX server in Orion and under it are the virtual machines running on that host server.  In order to monitor those virtual machines, I must also have SNMP installed on the VMs.  So, I install the SNMP feature on the the virtual Windows 2008R2 server and viola, the virtual machine is discovered in Orion and is now also fully monitored.

Can an expert chime in here and let me know if what I have written above is the right way to reach my goal?  Did I miss anything?  I am not use to installing SNMP on virtual machines since I was letting vCenter monitor them.  But, since Orion can show much more, I really want to use it to monitor everything!

Thanks all and have a great day!

- Dave Claussen

• You can monitor the individual hosts using SNMP and the VMWare API.  In addition to that you will want to configure Orion to poll your vCenter server where it will get Datacenter level data as well as giving you the option to poll the hosts through the vCenter server versus polling them directly.

In the Admin section of the WebUI go to your VMWare Settings and configure your credentials there and then tell it to use those to poll the vCenter server and/or your host systems.

Hope this helps!

• For clarification, if I discover my vCenter server, would I still need SNMP on each virtual machine?  I seem to remember trying this but not seeing anything on th VMs.

• Yes, you will want to treat each virtual machine like it was a physical system to get data such as drive utilization, response time, etc.

As far as your Blade System is concerned, I don't have much experience with those, though I know HP provides some of that information via SNMP.  You many need to create some Universal Device Pollers to get all of the data you want from it.

• That's it then!  I know what to do to get all of this going.  Thanks for all of your help Byron!