This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Policy Manager - Is there a way to...

Ok, trying to figure out Policy Manager and I just upgraded to the newer 6.1 which appears to add a ton of new functionality, so I'm wondering if it can do something I'd like it to.

We restrict our firewalls so that only SSH and ASDM connections from certain IP's can connect.  So we have several lines similar to:

ssh IP1 255.255.255.255 MgmtInterface

ssh IP2 255.255.255.255 MgmtInterface

ssh IP3 255.255.255.255 MgmtInterface

I know how to put it into the policy manager to check and make sure these specific lines and IP's are there, that part is easy.  What I want to do is know when another unauthorized management IP or subnet get's added to this list, is there a way to do that?

If not, it would be nice to be able to do things like this!!  I could see it being useful in cases such as this and with other things like SNMP communities too.   ie: check to see that your authorized SNMP communities are there, but no others...

• Interesting use case, not supported in 6.1. Created an enhancement (46497). Others?

• absolutely!

There are quite a few cases I can think of, off the top of my head, where this would be handy.

• Wasn't this possible in NCM 6.0 with regular expressions (I might be wrong but I thought thats what I read)?

If not, that would definitely be something needed

• Wow, I'm pretty disappointed that this feature doesn't exist. We just purchased this product for its "compliance" features that were so highly touted. How can you sell a product as being able to report for compliance when you can't verify that additional rules are not in the configs? What if someone were to put a permit ip any any in my firewall ACLs? How would I know?

• I think this might have been an incorrect information, if not... I can basically stop the project of implementing policy reporting with NCM 6.1 before we even started.

I am quite sure though that I read that you can use regular expressions for this...

@Francois, could you please double-check this for us?

• We are doing something similar with ACL policies for PCI.

create a text file that matches your desired config block.

Then itentify a begin and end line.

The rule will fire based on a config match with the contents of the text file.

We are just getting started with this but we see manny applications

• Hi Francois,

I am still waiting for your email response to the two questions I had (including this one)

were you able to get some information?

• Hi Questionario--

I'll ding Francois on this for you.

M

• Hi cnorborg,

during a discussion with Francois I created a regex with your use-case as an example.

The following regex will match if it finds the line "ssh <IP> <subnetmask> MgmtInterface" and the IP is not 10.10.10.1/32 or 10.10.10.3/32, you have to create an advanced regex rule that "must not contain" the following:

---

^(?:ssh )(?:((?:(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?))) ((?:(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?))))(?<!(?:(?:(?:10\.10\.10\.1)|(?:10\.10\.10\.3))(?: )255\.255\.255\.255))(?: )(?:MgmtInterface)$

---

This rule does NOT check if these two IP's are in the config (as I assume you already have a rule for that) but rather checks that no other IPs are in the config.

To make it short: with regex (which NCM supports) it should be possible to test ANYTHING in the config, only problem is that it is very complex and difficult to create if you do not know regex.