16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 11:00 AM by Andy McBride

Not enough space

pablokeller

Hi all,

I am having troubles with the SQL Server 2005 I have installed with Solarwinds. My database is growing a lot the last two weeks and I have run out of space. Instead of changing to a bigger high drive, does anyone know how I can erase de old data from previous years? The previous administrator has all the data stored since Solarwinds was installed.

Thank you very much for your help, I am in a real hurry.

Regards,

Pablo

• Re: Not enough space
          njoylif

try configuring your retention periods for shorter lenghts of time.

when done with that, I think if you run database maintenance on the NPM server, it will run all of the processes that roll up and clean data.

pablokeller

Dear njoylif,

Thanks for help. We are currently retaining 1 year of info. Where can I change that Threshold?

I have to found out if I am allowed to do so.

Regards,

Pablo

njoylif

via web console - admin section.  Poke around, but I think under settings section.

pablokeller

Dear njoylif,

I have beeing poking around but have not been able to find where to chage that configuration. I can see that 365 days are stored in the Detabase detail page, but cannot find the configuration one.

Any ideas?

Pablo

Andy McBride

You may not have Admin rights. Do you see an Admin tab? What version of NMP is this?

njoylif

what version are you running...I'm 10.1.x...

pablokeller

Its is the 9.1.0.

When I entry setting I do not have the Polling Settings tab.

netlogix

If you have SQL 2005 and the database set to 2005 compatable, then you can find what table is taking the space up.

Also, the problem could be the transaction log is taking up the space, is the big file on disk a mdf or ldf?  If an ldf, change to simple recovery or setup some type of maintenance on the transaction log.

pablokeller

Hi!!

First of all, thank you very much for you help,

The tables that are taking most of the space are: dbo.TrapVarbinds and dbo.Trap. Maybe shutting down the Trap service? We are not currently using it.

Anyway, I have no way of changing the days stored from 365 to another number in a 9.1 Solarwinds?

Regards,

Pablo

pablokeller

Any other ideas?

I am in a hurry.  Every day when the maintenance plan starts running the Transaction Log gets full and everything goes down. I run Maintenance plans that we have configured in the SQL 2005. Is it secure to run the Database Maintenance that Solarwinds offers?

Andy McBride

You can just truncate those 2 tables and regain the space if you are not interested in traps. 

Truncate Traps:

There is no automated settings to truncate the traps table. 

Have your DBA use a truncate/deletion syntax to purge the table.

Here is how it is done:
                                                Opened Database Manager,
                                                Traps and TrapVarbinds Tables, open these with read-write permissions and

truncate table TRAPS
                                                truncate table TRAPVARBINDS

Afterwards Run a Compact and Repair on your Orion DB and Also a Shrink,

if you don’t know how to do this then have your DBA do it.

Disable Traps

Go to start/programs/solarwinds orion/advanced features and click on Shutdown/Restart Network Performance Monitor.
                                                The service for traps, highlight it and click stop.

Once it has stopped, highlight it again and click uninstall service.

This will keep that service from starting again.

netlogix

You may also want to see if there is a specific trap that is filling the log and setup a trap rule that drops/deletes the event upon arrival.

you can use this to try to find what is so noisy:
                                                  SELECT [IPAddress],[TrapType], COUNT(*) as countof
                                                    FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Traps] inner join [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[TrapVarbinds] on [Traps].TrapID = [TrapVarbinds].TrapID
                                                    group by IPAddress, TrapType
                                                    order by countof desc

You can also drop just the noisy ones (wont be as fast as truncating, but that way not everything is gone):
                                                  declare @IPAddress as varchar(50), @TrapType as varchar(50)
                                                  Set @IPAddress = '172.17.10.21'
                                                  Set @TrapType = 'SNMPv2-SMI:enterprises.16139.251.0.4'
                                                  DECLARE @TrapIDs TABLE (TrapID bigint)

INSERT INTO @TrapIDs (TrapID)
                                                  SELECT top 5000 TrapID FROM [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Traps] where IPAddress = @IPAddress and TrapType = @TrapType

delete from [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[TrapVarbinds]
                                                  where TrapID in (SELECT TrapID FROM @TrapIDs)
                                                  delete from [NetPerfMon].[dbo].[Traps]
                                                  where TrapID in (SELECT TrapID FROM @TrapIDs)

netlogix

Not sure if you had grabbed from my last post, but I edited it with a different sql script that you would have to run a few time till it cleared things up.  Before, it could try to do too much for one statement and fill the trans log (your current issue).  This one only delete 5000 traps at a time, you might be able to increase that.

Hi Pablo--

Have you tried upgrading to 10.1.1 SP1? Orion NPM 10.1.1 Service Pack 1 Now Available some information on it. It may not solve your problem but if you contact support, they will likely have you upgrade.

M