3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 9:40 AM by dpeaco

Backup Profiler compatibility with MS SQL Server

Hello

By default Backup Profiler installs the service with Mysql database, is it possible to configure the system to use a different database? Preferably SQL Server 2008 as we have license and these servers are monitored properly.

Regards

Uday

• Re: Backup Profiler compatibility with MS SQL Server
          bmrad

uramagoni

Profiler only uses MySQL as a backend at this time. 

Brian

Thanks for the response, could you please let me know how I can configure the application to use a central MySql database instead of running local instance?

With the way the product is written at this time, I don't believe it can be done. Standards have to be followed for any developed application and the after-the-sell support team has to know what to expect from the product when troubleshooting various issues. By the product being restricted to MySQL, it doesn't require many customer to purchase a license for MS SQL, Oracle, or even SyBase and it has a small enough application footprint that it doesn't take a lot of resources to install or keep running.

The way the Profiler database is currently structured (ver. 4.9.x) is that there are many table spaces, indices, and such that would make it a nightmare to try and set this up via another "end-user" configurable database engine. Not saying that it can't be done, but how would Customer Support know how to resolve your database issues without them knowing almost every database engine out there? See the reason why one database engine was chosen and has remained with the product all this time. It's getting better all the time, just be patient and provide customer feedback every chance you get.