5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:14 PM by euphorik

Query: NPM:: Alerting with Custom Pollers

Miron

Hi,

I have an F5 loadbalancer and what i want to do is monitor the count of members active in a pool, as well as monitor the state of each of the members.

I have got the OID for each of these distinct elements eg:

PoolMemberCount = x

PoolMember1State =A

PoolMember2State =B

PoolMember3State =C

I am trying to write an alert that checks count of the PoolMember count and if the count < 3 to alert and send an email message. This part works fine, however I want the email message to contain the following:

Pool Name: Web Servers

Warning reduced member count

Expected members: 3

Current members: 2 (This would be the custom poller data returned by OID X)

Pool Member 1 State:Available(This content would be the data returned by OID A)

Pool Member 2 State:Available(This content would be the data returned by OID B)

Pool Member 3 State:Unavailable(This content would be the data returned by OID C)

I can get everthing up to Current Members working and the count of active members, however I dont know how to write into the alert the variables for the Pool Members.

Any ideas.

Regards

Miron

• Re: Query: NPM:: Alerting with Custom Pollers
          byrona

How is the data for the Pool Members getting collected and stored?  Is it all the same poller that collects this data?  How/where is it stored in the database?

Miron

Hi,

I am not sure i understand your question. I have set up 4 UNDP to check the status of 4 OID's. The first is the count of the members in the pool, the other 3 are the result of querying the OID on the Loadbalancer that relate to the individual pool members status.

Miron

byrona

I have a similar alert for a NetApp where I have multiple UnDP's that the alert looks at in the Trigger Condition, the only variable I use is ${CustomPollerStatus.Status} which if I recall will only note the status of the specific poller that caused the alert to trigger.

As best I can tell when you are using multiple pollers, the variables in the Trigger Action will always pertain to the poller that caused the alert to trip; it would be nice to have this validated.

If that is true (as it seems to be), I don't know of a good way to accomplish what you are trying to do unless you can somehow embed a SQL Query in the Trigger Action with variables embedded in that.

Miron

Hi,

The thing is if the alert is an email message you are writing SW gives you the option it looks like to build a sql query to fill in the response.

Is there no way to then have as an example node.customerpoller.status

if not it would be good to add this as a feature request.

Regards

Miron

euphorik

Check out this thread from a while ago, as I think it might pertain to what you're looking to do.
                          I assume you simply want to fire an alert when the available members is less that 3, but include in the page out the current status of each member, so you know which one isn't responding.

The example attached is a UPS, but the concept is the same with regards to building an SQL query and building your advanced alert.

Re: Custom Poller Alert