8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 11:55 AM by kdavis

4.12.3 upgrade behaviour

DSalmon

I am a fairly new user of Profiler and my recent upgrade to 4.12.3 was the first upgrade I have performed on this product.  After the upgrade all intial tests of functionallity, data collection, reports and so were positive.  Later I discovered that my Remote Shares that were configured for file analysis were gone.  Is this a normal behavior for Profiler upgrades? 

• Re: 4.12.3 upgrade behaviour
          HolyGuacamole

The Remote Shares that were configured for file analysis must be persisted with upgrades. Are the Shares on a NAS or VM? If NAS, which vendor? Which version did you upgrade from?

DSalmon

They are CIFS shares on an EMC NAS.  We upgraded from 4.11.2.

HolyGuacamole

Thanks for the details. Assuming you have re-assigned your CIFS shares for analysis now, you should be fine for any future upgrades. But, we will look into it from our end.

When you mention an EMC NAS, would that be an EMC Celerra?  If so, then there was an issue with 4.12.3, that is related to correcting share assignments of deleted devices.  Unfortunately, it exhibits the behavior you are observing where share assignments disappear.  There is a hotfix for 4.12.3 available that addresses the issue you observed, so we will want to get that applied in your environment, so that you do not encounter that issue again, i.e. remote share assignments disappearing.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,

Kyle

DSalmon

Yes it is a Celerra.  Do I need to open a ticket on the issue or can you send me the hotfix and associated release notes for review.

Unfortunately, I cannot send you the hotfix directly, but since it is a known issue and a hotfix is available, you can open a ticket, and reference the patch below.  They should be able to get the information sent out to you quickly.  We work closely with the Support team, so I will give them a heads up that you will be contacting them so that they can expedite the process.

Reference this patch, and let them know that you got this information from thwack, so that they realize that the issue has already been diagnosed and can be addressed quickly with the patch.

Patch 6-39621

Thanks,

Kyle

DSalmon

Thanks for your assistance.  Sounds like my circumstance fits as I added the shares yesterday and they appear to be gone again today.  According to the File Analysis Stats report the analysis jobs ran last night but all my reports show data from prior to the upgrade.  I will open a support ticket and reference the information you provided.

Good deal.  It does sound exactly like the behavior we have observed with this issue, as it will clear the shares every 24 hours, I believe, when it polls for the list.  Also, I have already notified Support that you will be contacting them, so just let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Kyle