This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Wireless Controller AP's show down but they are really up.

My NOC is freaking out.  NPM is showing all the AP's on many of my 5500 controllers are down, but actually they are up with many clients attached.  NPM shows the AP's going up then down again and again.  My events logs are packed with this!

Please any help is greatly appreciated.

• Can you try the following?

1. Log on to your Orion server using an account with administrative rights.
    2. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager.
    3. Click Shutdown Everything.
      Note: It may take a few minutes to stop all services.
    4. Make a backup copy of your current JobEngine35.sdf, and rename it asJobEngine35.old.
      Notes:
      1. The default location of this file on Windows Server 2008 is C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\.
    5. Make a backup copy of "JobEngine35 - Blank.sdf" and rename it as "JobEngine35.sdf".
      Notes:
      1. The default location of this file on Windows Server 2008 is C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\.
      2. The default location of this file on Windows Server 2003 is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\.
    6. Right-click JobEngine.sdf, as renamed in the previous step.
    7. Click Properties.
    8. On the General tab, confirm that the Read-only attribute is cleared, and then click OK.
    9. Open the Database Manager and connect to the SQL Server Database
    10. Execute the following SQL Query

UPDATE NPM_Nodes SET RowStatus=2 WHERE OrionNodeID NOT IN (SELECT NodeID FROM Nodes)
      UPDATE NPM_NODES SET [State]=0 WHERE [RowStatus]=0 AND [State]<3
      UPDATE NPM_NODES SET [Reschedule]=1 WHERE [RowStatus]=0 AND [State]>3
      DELETE FROM NPM_NV_EW_DEVICE 
      DELETE FROM NPM_NV_WL_CONTROLLERS 
      DELETE FROM NPM_NV_WL_APS 
      DELETE FROM NPM_NV_WL_INTERFACES 
      DELETE FROM NPM_NV_WL_CLIENTS
    11. On your Orion server, click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager.
    12. Click Start Everything.
      Note: It may take a few minutes to start all services.

Let me know if this resolves your issue. Thanks!

• Have you tried this yet? We have this problem as well with HP AP's. They are continually reported as going up/down all the time, but clients are connected and working ok.

In our case, NPM is reporting >200ms response time, with some of them showing 100% packet loss. All other devices on our network (also HP ProCurve) have no issues at all, and are 100% up. Obviously AP management is done over the wired ethernet port.

Whether it makes any difference or not (probably not), all our AP's are using PoE. Will this 'fix' also work for us?

• Bump. Can anyone from SW comment on this? Will this 'fix' work for anyone experiencing this problem with AP status flapping?

•   Now this is interesting. I've had a ticket open with SW support since August 2010 for this. Cisco 4402 WLC. Same issue. The lastest from support is that there is an SNMP v3 polling issue and they want to know if I'd participate in the Beta to see if that fixes it.

• Sol is correct,

This SNMP V3-related issue (AP status flapping) has been identified and we are working on a fix which will be delivered soon.

Francois Caron - Sn Product Manager NPM.

• Thanks for confirming this. In our case though, we're still using v2c to manage the AP's so the SNMPv3 problem doesn't stick. It is interesting though that the new NPM beta announcement makes explicit reference to natively supporting HP ProCurve AP's, so I'm wondering if this will resolve the problem.