9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2011 6:03 PM by Questionario

APM4 RC experiences

Questionario

Hi,

I would love to hear your experiences with APM4, unfortunately we cannot install RC's so I am waiting for the GA but am hoping to hear something from the community beforehand.

What new features have you tried and how do you like them, what bugs did you come across and which ones are gone that you had in APM3.5?

What have you been doing with APM4? Did anyone convert their WMI monitors to some other kind?

Looking forward to hear the stories from the community!

• Re: APM4 RC experiences
          Questionario

noone?

:(

Craig, can you say anything vague on when APM4 MIGHT come out or at least for how long it for sure will NOT be available? :P

Questionario-

Did you read any of the other threads in the APM RC forum? They should provide some insight.

I'll mark this for the Craig as well.

M

saw_bah

One of the things I would have liked to have seen in this release is the ability to set more common items to a list of components with in a template of during the creation of a new monitor.  Here is a perfect example.  We monitor multiple Oracle servers and multiple databases on each server.  now one of the templates contains the default port 1521 to connect when polling.  Now when we apply this template to the next server or applying the template to the same server and we want to use a different port number, we have to go into each component to change the port number.  So the template works well for the servers using 1521, but when we need to monitor 1522, 1523 or so one, it would be nice to have the option to apply the setting like that of the credentials..  The same could be said for the SID  / Service_name.

Something else that would be nice is that on the Application Health Overview pie chart window, it would be nice to have the list below the chart like that of the EOC's version of the same window where at a click you can expand the group to see what app is in warning and what one is critical and what one is unmanaged, etc..

Additionally, the All Applications section, it would be nice to leverage the groups and filter on applications assigned to groups and give the option of grouping the All Applications by the group association.

Now that you are deep diving into vCenter server monitoring, is it possible to somehow monitor the transactions of vCenter?  So like the DSR moves a server from esx1 to esx2, is there a way that APM can track these?

Also how about if I am an orion admin, let there be a custom menu built for the admin for the APM tab. I can o it myself but it would be nice if I didn't.

Also how about when applying the app to a node, instead of constantly scrolling down in the long list of new-snmp nodes, why can't we do a find at that point and filter, like that of applying nodes to groups in NPM.

I do not want to delay the APM GA release, really I do not, I am hoping this goes out the door soon, but these are just a few items that I wanted to see but did not.

saw_bah

Also I have have multiple accounts servicing multiple clients in different orgs.  All orgs have active maintenance accounts and run ALX. One org is using the RC for these purposes and they are demoing it to their powers.  Now a different org, with a different account, different SID would also like to demo the RC to their folks.  We need help to get the RC to those folks.  The RC is installed but we need to get that account permissions to license the RC.  Email me for more details. 

Thanks.

Questionario

Now that you are deep diving into vCenter server monitoring, is it possible to somehow monitor the transactions of vCenter?  So like the DSR moves a server from esx1 to esx2, is there a way that APM can track these?

Yea, Id like to know that too... this would be something useful! I would have guessed that APM4 can now do that though.