7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 2:26 PM by lag

DNS resolution for websites in NTA

Swine

Hi,

When you look at SolarWind's demo NTA page on their website, website names are resolved so that you see people accessing youtube.com, wikipedia.org, and so on.  But our NTA doesn't resolve websites.  To test it out, I went to Youtube and watched videos, then checked NTA to find the conversation between my workstation and Youtube.  It showed up as a conversation between my workstation and 173.194.9.217.  I'm not sure if this is a DNS issue or an NTA issue (or maybe a NetFlow issue?).  Any suggestions on how to get those website names to show up in our NTA?

Thanks.

• Re: DNS resolution for websites in NTA
          pyro13g

Because 173.194.9.217 doesn't resolve.

mavturner

Swine,

I'm not able to resolve 173.194.9.217 either. Also, if you don't have any addresses resolving, you should check the name resolution settings. Go to Settings - NTA Settings and scroll to about mid page. You should see the section matching the screenshot below.

Mav

Swine

I guess it's just a reverse DNS issue.  NTA is pulling its DNS resolutions from our local DNS server, and if our DNS can't resolve 173.194.9.217 to youtube.com, then NTA is just going to show the IP address.

timsilverline

I have this same problem but reverse DNS is working fine.

From the box running NTA the reverse DNS for every one of its top xx endpoints resolves perfectly fine using the nslookup command util.  But nothing shows in NTA except IP addresses.

Even devices which are managed nodes in OPM (including the Orion server itself) just display with IP addresses in NTA.

I have enabled all options in the NetBIOS/DNS section including persistent lookups.

Any advice on what to do next to get this working?

mavturner

timsilverline,

Are you still having a problem with this? When you change the resolution settings it can take a while for NTA to catch up and resolve the old records. If you are still not seeing any domains, you should call support and open a case to investigate further.

Mav

timsilverline

I am still having a problem and have an open case right now with support to investigate.

We were able to determine that the issue is specific to the persistent setting.  When On Demand DNS lookups are selected, everything works fine.  However, as soon as the settings is changed to persisitent, the same addresses which were resolving with On Demand no longer resolve.  However, Top Domains works fine with persistent enabled (but obviously not with On Demand).  So right now I have to choose between having DNS lookups or having top domains.

Hopefully will get this resolved soon though and I will report back to let everyone know what the issue was once it is.