14 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 8:38 AM by derik.pfeffer

A different map for each group detail page

Don Broyles

NPM 10.1.1

Noob question - How do I create a different map for each group. Stated another way, I assign a map to the group details page for one group and it shows up in the group details page for all the groups.  I can't find a way for Group Details - Group A to show group A Map and Group Details - Group B to show group B map.

Hmm, I also can't seem to create a node availability report based on group membership either.

I know I can create a different view and use a menu bar, (in fact I did in NPM 10.0) but then I don't see the point in the groups feature. I'm obviously missing something.

Any suggestions?

Don.

• Re: A different map for each group detail page
          automag928

Did you ever figure this out?

Don Broyles

Unfortunately, No.  This and a few other annoyances with the group feature have left me feeling like the groups function is just not ready for primetime and I've stopped using it for now. For the most part I'm back to creating custom properties and just sorting my nodes via those custom properties.

Don.

ctopaloglu

Unfortunately, No.  This and a few other annoyances with the group feature have left me feeling like the groups function is just not ready for primetime and I've stopped using it for now. For the most part I'm back to creating custom properties and just sorting my nodes via those custom properties.

Don.

Completely agree. Also please move this thread to NPM Feature request section.

ctopaloglu

Any update on this?

mavturner

This is a great suggestion and unfortunatley not something you can accomplish now I've logged a feature request for it (internal 83959).

As you mentioned, one way to do this is to create a custom view for each group and add your map to that specific view. However, this is a poor work around and won't scale well. 

Regarding the Group Availability report, this should be available. I'm not sure which exact version they were introduced in, but my NPM 10.1.3 lab machine has several group availability reports (Group Availability with members is probably the report you want).

Ciag

mavturner is absolutely correct. Like I mentioned I'm only using this for 12 sites out of a possible 100+ as this method really doesn't facilitate scalability I wouldn't dream of going beyond this amount.

But for a small number of groups it does work pretty well for us and has been for some time now. If network topology maps are important to you for your groups/sites and you are willing to sacrifice a few of the http navigational links (AJAX tree and staus icons for group summaries) then try it see how it works for you. It will plug the gap until SW comes up with something better.

ctopaloglu

Well of course the network topology maps it is important for us and lots of customers. My technicians have bugged me all the time for this. We have 300+ edge offices all over the world. And I think the custom property thing should be easy to implement.

This is a must for the grouping feature. I am surprised that it is not implemented with the group feature in the first place!

Ciag

I completely agree. I am myself surprised that this feature has had to be requested I thought it would have been included from the word go. Whether it gets included in a later release any time soon remians to be seen I guess.

If you manage to come up with any additional customisations or solutions to this dilemma please do share with the community I'd be very interested in learning about them. 

Ciag

Would love to see this additional feature added to the group details page. One of the more beneficial uses we can find for groups would be having a illustrative map on the group details page specific to that group. It would assist engineers when troubleshooting an issue on a site, in helping them view the topology of the devices on site before logging into the devices, saving valuable time.

A temporary solution to this which I will be implementing shortly is to create an individual group details page for every group (cumbersome I know, but we have only 12 sites that we want grouped for now so it makes it feasible for us).

Doing this will allow you to assign a custom map per group details page. You can create a custom HTML resource on the groups summary page to link your custom group details pages to the Group Summary page. This would replace the 'All Groups' resource. The down side to this is that you will not have status icons beside the group names, nor will you have the AJAX, drill-down tree functionality that allows you to view the nodes within a group as seen in the 'All Groups' resource. Any questions please ask 

HTH :-)

groundLoop

Unique maps for individual groups would be a boon.  I hope that SolarWinds takes this up as a product enhancement suggestion.

alanaround

Sorry to drag this thread up again but did this every get any further? the link above doesn't seem to work and i'm looking for this feature.. I just thought i'd check in before I go off and start creating 15 custom pages for groups I have created.

cheers,

Al

networkadmin

I use a NPM 10.2.1 and i have created a seperated map for each group, i think is simple

I have created the maps with Network Atlas and i save it with same name as Group Name,

for example:

Group name: LanSwitches    

Map Name: LanSwitches    (is case sesitive and no spaces)

hope will help.

cheers,

derik.pfeffer

All,

Working with a Client about 6 months ago, I had a similar request. I had to create a new Group Detail Page for GroupsGroup Details and Renamed the page for the current group) that I did not want to share the same resources. Thus giving the ability to add unique maps per group. I then created a User Links page on the Group Summary Page to access each of the pages (Views) that were unique. This is not a scalable solution for environments with lots of different groups, but was useful for this Client.

Hope this helps....

Derik Pfeffer

Loop1 Systems

www.loop1systems.com